Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: garbage  (Read 5514 times)

elroyperch

garbage
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »

hello  im new to this site ,, anyway i took a drove out to chehalis river to check out eagles,spawning salmon and basically just go for a day of site seeing,im from ont. so its all kinda new to me ,ive been fishing all my life (54yrs)what bummed me out was the amount of garbage laying around!it looked like peaple were acutally thowing full bags of garbage out on the roads,there was crap everywhere,everything from cig butts to a lawn chair in a tree, the parking lots, trails,roads,were a mess,anyhow if there is a voluntary clean up day/crew  feel free to contact me.
thanks
elroyperch

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: garbage
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »

Was all that in the campground area by the one way wooden bridge?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

elroyperch

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »

yeah some  of it,  i picked up quite a bit,but it seemed like wherever you got out of the car to take a photo or watch the eagles there was alot crap laying around...

shi man oh man

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »

the amount of anglers has increased what seems like ten fold in the past 3 years, and with all the new anglers, unfortunatley, the amount of junk left behind on the rivers also has increased. Im not sure why people seem to think its ok to just leave garbage behind. It is the thing that i hate the most about lower mainland fishing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

hello  im new to this site ,, anyway i took a drove out to chehalis river to check out eagles,spawning salmon and basically just go for a day of site seeing,im from ont. so its all kinda new to me ,ive been fishing all my life (54yrs)what bummed me out was the amount of garbage laying around!it looked like peaple were acutally thowing full bags of garbage out on the roads,there was crap everywhere,everything from cig butts to a lawn chair in a tree, the parking lots, trails,roads,were a mess,anyhow if there is a voluntary clean up day/crew  feel free to contact me.
thanks
elroyperch
Check out the work we do on the Chilliwack Vedder River, someone may wish to start a similar program on the Chehalis.

www.cleanrivers.ca, we also are on facebook. 

firebird

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »

The Coquihalla  corridor has some disgusting stretches. I'm thinking about spearheading an attack on that front.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »

While I do participate in cleaning up rivers, Chilliwack most often,  I am of opinion that those who litter have to be severely punished.
Hit them in their pockets where it hurts and make it hurt.

This way if we create a clean up groups for every river, we will create two classes of people.
Those who litter and those who cleanup after them.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

The Coquihalla  corridor has some disgusting stretches. I'm thinking about spearheading an attack on that front.
That would be great.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »

While I do participate in cleaning up rivers, Chilliwack most often,  I am of opinion that those who litter have to be severely punished.
Hit them in their pockets where it hurts and make it hurt.

This way if we create a clean up groups for every river, we will create two classes of people.
Those who litter and those who cleanup after them.

Thanks for taking part and I agree what you say but think of all the garbage there would be on the Chilliwack Vedder system if we and you have not cleaned it up for the last 11 years.

I guess we hope people's habit of dumping garbage will one day change or failing that the government will provide the resources to be able to catch and charge these people, not sure what will happen first. :-\

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »

Thanks for taking part and I agree what you say but think of all the garbage there would be on the Chilliwack Vedder system if we and you have not cleaned it up for the last 11 years.

I guess we hope people's habit of dumping garbage will one day change or failing that the government will provide the resources to be able to catch and charge these people, not sure what will happen first. :-\

I agree Chris but that's why you start handing out painful fines so people "learn".
It's not about what's a fair fine, it's what's a fine that will make them never do it again.
Also, city of Chilliwack should look at putting up more garbage cans in areas other than lower river.
That would help.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »

I agree Chris but that's why you start handing out painful fines so people "learn".
It's not about what's a fair fine, it's what's a fine that will make them never do it again.
Also, city of Chilliwack should look at putting up more garbage cans in areas other than lower river.
That would help.

Go up to far then you'll end up with problem bears sadly. On the weekends during camping season I know that the RCMP frequent the bench FSR road. They should start taking pictures of people and their vehicles and telling them they will be getting fines if there is crap every where when the campers leave. Also to start being there sunday or monday mornings at the messier sites and either handing out fines or something. They're already out there doing liquor dump outs and fire patrols anyways. I think its pathetic that people do what they do in the wilderness in regards to garbage.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »

The last two years, I've been involved in organizing the Steelhead Society cleanup in the Squamish watershed in April two years running.  Organizing takes some work, but the results are extremely satisfying.  In the past two years, we've moved somewhere in the order of 18,000lbs of garbage from the river bank to the dump.

Try getting ahold of the district, you will likely find them happy to provide bags, gloves etc.  You should be able to get them to waive tipping fees when you visit the landfill.  With the Squamish Cleanup, we've had donuts brought by participants or donated by Tim Hortons as well as coffee from Starbucks in Squamish.  We've also arranged to have Fergies Cafe, an awesome diner on the banks of the Cheakamus River, to cut volunteers a deal for a beer and burger for a pretty good price.  Maybe you could arrange something similar with Sasquatch Inn near the Chehalis.  Forums such as FWR are a great avenue to organize these events.  I'm not that familiar with groups in the Fraser Valley, but we were able to get the Squamish River Watershed Society, Squamish Streamkeepers on board, they provided insight into broadening the focus from a cleanup to include other initiatives, such as possibly eel grass planting, bank stabilization of spawning areas etc.  We're looking into broadening the focus next year as we're cleaning up garbage faster than its been deposited.

Interestingly, I've definitely noticed that once cleaned up, an area stays relatively clean for a while.  People notice, they pick up after themselves and others.

Here's some photos from our Squamish Cleanup.

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/2012-squamish-watershead-cleanup

The two biggest players in the Squamish River guiding scene, Clint Goyette of Valley Fishing Guides, Shane and Justin from Whistler Fly Fishing and SSBC director Carlo unload a trailer of garbage into the dump.

We were able to turn areas  that looked like this before:

Into:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:38:37 PM by Matt »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »

Go up to far then you'll end up with problem bears sadly. On the weekends during camping season I know that the RCMP frequent the bench FSR road. They should start taking pictures of people and their vehicles and telling them they will be getting fines if there is crap every where when the campers leave. Also to start being there sunday or monday mornings at the messier sites and either handing out fines or something. They're already out there doing liquor dump outs and fire patrols anyways. I think its pathetic that people do what they do in the wilderness in regards to garbage.

Yes Johnny, and they ought to make it real "painful" for those who litter.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

Good work Matt. ;D

elroyperch

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »

nice work Matt ,i will be voluntering for future clean ups vedder and squamish
thanks