Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IMW Reel History......  (Read 5493 times)

opwins

IMW Reel History......
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

Im just wondering if someone knows the whole history of the IMW reel and is willing to share.......What year were they made? who designed them?  what paint finish is the gold and black one? Etc

Cheers

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: IMW Reel History......
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »

You peeked my curiousity as well and as such, found the following info within another forum:

The imw stands for ironside machine welding there are a shop in chilliwack that makes compressors and lots of stuff that has nothing to do with with fishing but since they have a machince shop i guess they spat out a few reels in the day. They stopped making them because they lost money on them they sold them to cheap for what they are.

Take it for what its worth - could be true - could be not.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

cohoaaron

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »

I think they only made 200 reels.

opwins

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

Thanks Guys, Yes IMW is right in Chilliwack, just wanted to know if all the parts were made in house?  Where did they farm the powdercoating or adonzing for the reels?  There an awesome reel but I would love to hear the full history.......anyone?

mikeNW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

I have owned a couple of IMW reels over the years.I had an issue with one of them and took it back for some tweaking.I believe that IMW is a machinig company specializing in industrial compressors.The guy that iI dealt with(can't remember name) told me that he was comissioned to build some centerpin reels for the owner and some of his friends. they turned out well so they decided to sell some to the general public.The numbers were very limited and the left hand version that I owned were even fewer.They were a bit heavy and a little slow to spool up but a pretty decent reel nevertheless.I sold both of mine for more than I paid for them and bought two Kingfisihers instead.In my opinion Milner's reels are a fair bit better but the IMW is still a damned good reel.Kind of wish I hadn't sold both of them as they will have collector status one day.I may not have all of the facts straight here and feel free to correct me

Capilano Mano

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »

2 in buy/sell for those interested