Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are pinks artifical in the vedder?  (Read 5490 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Are pinks artifical in the vedder?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »

Im not sure we can compare cost effectiveness of pinks to sockeye simply on a per fish basis - pinks are obviously way smaller and not as good to eat neither. Even in off years you can pick up a whole frozen pink for $5 or so, I cant recall seeing a frozen sockeye for less than $20.

So a limit of 2 pinks is worth maybe $10, hardly worth the gas and time unless you are taking a minibus with 10 of your buddies! Not quite the same as 2 sockeye that would be worth $40+ in the shops.

I meant cost in time rather than a dollar value.  I'm sure fewer meat fishermen would make the trek out for 1 or two pinks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Are pinks artifical in the vedder?
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »

Not true. The islands even number years have a bigger return. Its not the same as here.

it's not the island vs Mainland, its north south. From Courtney north Pinks high cycle is the even numbered years. South of there its the odd numbered years. Pinks are all but absent south of Courtney.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.