Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are pinks artifical in the vedder?  (Read 5489 times)

doja

Are pinks artifical in the vedder?
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »

I was looking at numbers on the vedder and was surprised to see in 1992 they released 2 million pink fry.

Was this run created? Or just enhanced?

I'm guessing that these would be odd year returning fish?

I say this as it would sure be nice to have pinks on even years on some rivers too. Can this be done?

EDIT: here's the link to see your self. http://www.canbcdw.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ows/reports/releaseReport.asp?IDValue=107

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Are pinks artifical in the vedder?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »

move to the island they get pinks every year but odd years are bigger runs, I think they get them every year up north also. It would be nice to have them every year for sure if not just for the help of fertilizing the river each year. With the chum non existent this year we sure could have used some more fish dying in the river.

Im not sure if pinks were introduced but probably, the white springs were thats for sure
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

anorden

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »

The pinks on the Seymour were introduced from the Vedder. I was told it was due to similar water temps and conditions; would assume from that the vedder pinks have adapted and evolved over many many seasons

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »

Have to say I for one would like to see more Pinks - though much derided these 'little' Salmon are keen to snap at darn nearly anything and can provide spectacular sport on lighterweight tackle - such as a single-handed fly rod or light baitcaster.

They are a great introductory species for people just getting in to Salmon fishing.
Try the fly!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »

Pinks are indigenous to the Chilliwack-Vedder, not introduced.  However, many lower mainland rivers have had stockings of CV pinks.  Attempts have been made to introduce even year pinks to typically odd year rivers, mainly by manipulating photoperiods - bottom line is it can be done, just need the political will and $$$ to do so.

spoiler

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »

the Pink Salmon run in the Vedder is  native to that system. They are an odd numbered year run although I'm sure there is the odd straggler on an even numbered year. When I first fished the Vedder in 1967 there was quite a large return, somewhere around 3 million fish. I still remember watching the kids from Yarrow snagging them with a spark plug and a treble hook! Poaching was pretty common even 43 years ago. I wore a coat that was very similiar to what the conservation officers wore and it was fun to watch the kids scramble into the bush when I came down the trail.

burnaby

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »

Environmental/ecological reasons aside I sure don't want to see the pinks even on odd years. Great coho fishing this year without all the pinks and chums in the way. Can't imagine how much busier it'd been with pinks around.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

Burnaby, returning adult pink salmon are a huge nutrient source to the CV and it's ecosystem (thinks bears to dippers).  It's not always about us as anglers/harvesters.  I would definitely support introducing even year pinks to the CV.

doja

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »

Environmental/ecological reasons aside I sure don't want to see the pinks even on odd years. Great coho fishing this year without all the pinks and chums in the way. Can't imagine how much busier it'd been with pinks around.

I don't think it'd be much busier. I think it was about the same as last year... for coho fishing that is. When pinks run people are every where and that is a very good thing to see, in many ways!!!!

And pinks usually run first and then coho. I also know people who do good when pinks run. I wouldn't know as I'm busy fishing pinks.

And pinks don't have to be on every system. ;)

So now I ask,

Is there any environmental down sides to to more pinks??? IE too much fish/ not enough food for ocean survival? And etc...

I for one would be willing to put up $50 - $100+ to pay for this. Heck I'd be willing to put up even more as the benefits would easily pay it's self back with good times, more meat, and the help to the eco-system.

Hmm, $100 x 100 fishermen = $10,000 :o Wonder what it costs to grow fish?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:41:24 PM by doja »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

move to the island they get pinks every year but odd years are bigger runs, I think they get them every year up north also. It would be nice to have them every year for sure if not just for the help of fertilizing the river each year. With the chum non existent this year we sure could have used some more fish dying in the river.

Im not sure if pinks were introduced but probably, the white springs were thats for sure

Not true. The islands even number years have a bigger return. Its not the same as here.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »

Pink season usually brings out the crowds due to their catchability, while I can see the advantage to more people developing an appreciation of the environment through fishing, these crowds are more interested in filling the freezer with meat than the preservation of a resource.  I don't really see the value to having these meat-fishers on the river. Also, On the other hand, pinks do bring a lot of nutrients back into the river.  It might be an interesting avenue if the daily limits in for pinks were significantly reduced to make cost-inefficient to harvest pinks as a food source.  Furthermore, coho fishing fishing is a bit of a drag with millions of zombie pinks milling around, so you could add that to the downsides.

burnaby

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »

Dave> Agree the nutrients from the Pinks outweighs the angler's needs; that why I pre-condition my stmt with "Environmental/ecological reasons aside"

Doja> Quite a bit busier this year, just drive by any of the meat holes. Abundance of socks brought out lots of fishermen this year. Likewise Pinks brings out lots of causal fisherman, the harvest bunch. Cohos are for the diehard anglers who don't mind going home empty handed.

The few cohos that runs early gets lost in the crowd during Pinks year.

anorden

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

It might be an interesting avenue if the daily limits in for pinks were significantly reduced to make cost-inefficient to harvest pinks as a food source. 

Im not sure we can compare cost effectiveness of pinks to sockeye simply on a per fish basis - pinks are obviously way smaller and not as good to eat neither. Even in off years you can pick up a whole frozen pink for $5 or so, I cant recall seeing a frozen sockeye for less than $20.

So a limit of 2 pinks is worth maybe $10, hardly worth the gas and time unless you are taking a minibus with 10 of your buddies! Not quite the same as 2 sockeye that would be worth $40+ in the shops.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »

Fishing for pinks up in chilliwack is kind of silly anyways, by the time they reach the river they're already in spawning colours and very poor table fare. Any fishing for pinks I do will be in the tidal section of the Fraser for fresher fish.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »

"Fishing for pinks up in chilliwack is kind of silly anyways, by the time they reach the river they're already in spawning colours and very poor table fare"

Actually took a couple for the table which still had long tailed sea-lice on them - meaning they had been in fresh water less than 12 hrs.  ;D

An both on the Fly!
Try the fly!