Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video from our trip to BC Chilliwack 2009 incl underwater video  (Read 5498 times)

vaskerelva

• Born to fish, forced to work
Video from our trip to BC Chilliwack 2009 incl underwater video
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

Hey Gay's thanks fore an other unforgettable trip to BC and Chilliwack.

Put inn some video links from our trip

Fist two underwater video's of pink run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uks18UphvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9Z57mk99s

And two figths with spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJm3VLXKCMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_us3G-S652Y

Sorry if its wrong place to post it :)
Fear no fish

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Video from our trip to BC Chilliwack 2009 incl underwater video
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »

pretty good videos. I especially liked that first underwater one because when you first put the cam under im pretty sure thats a clipped coho that goes taking off  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

Hey Gay's thanks fore an other unforgettable trip to BC and Chilliwack.

You just gotta love ESL ;)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:31:17 PM by marmot »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »

Hope that doesn't offend you Vaskerelva, thanks for the post and vids!

The mix-up is pretty wide-spread in that part of the world. Here's an email that I received from Denmark a month ago. I bursted into laughed early in the morning when I read it.

Hey Rodney

I am a Danish Gay who is going to Canada on Friday the 25

I talked to some off gay´s In CPH. They told me that you are a nice gay, an probably could help us if we needed a little advice

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:31 PM »

Hilarious.  What are we, 13?  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »

Exactly what Nina said when I ran upstairs to show her the email.

vaskerelva

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »

pretty good videos. I especially liked that first underwater one because when you first put the cam under im pretty sure thats a clipped coho that goes taking off  ;D

I think the 3th fish i a Coho :D
Fear no fish

vaskerelva

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »

[/quot

Sorry, the Scandinavian have a little problem with a few words :o
Fear no fish

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the trip, but was there a need to drag the big spring up on the rocks for a hero shot. Also the hands should be kept clear of the gills because once those are damaged the fish is done. In my opinion, if you are going to let a big fish go, wear waders so you can either tail or cradle the fish in the water. Have a friend take a pic and then send it on its way. Sorry if I sound critical but if things are going to improve on angler etiquette and fish handling we have to draw the line somewhere.  My two cents worth.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:42:19 PM by dennyman »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »

Glad you enjoyed the trip, but was there a need to drag the big spring up on the rocks for a hero shot. Also the hands should be kept clear of the gills because once those are damaged the fish is done.

Hey Dennyman, I have to agree with you on this one... watching that first vid of the badly treated Spring is pretty sickening !!
after watching A$$e$ treat their fish like this all year my tolerance levels have come way down... I guess at least he didn't punt it back into the river.

Vaskerelva, please learn how to treat salmon properly in the future, or at least don't videotape yourself doing it, pretty sad to see !!

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 09:59:01 AM »

Guess it was a good thing i didnt bother watching the spring battles after seeing the area being fished. knew the fish would be black mostly, but didnt think i would be seeing fish molestation like that, mind you i saw people molesting Wild coho even worse then that at another run this year  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »

Hey Veskerelva, never mind the holier than thous who have obviously never mis-handled a fish when they were learning the ropes. While your fish handling technique could use a little refinement I'm glad that you have a great fishing trip to BC. Come back again!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:20:01 AM »

Glad you had a good trip Veskerelva! Come back soon  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:23:19 AM by dennisK »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »

I was going to mention that the site holding your avatar was unsecure as I was able to poke around and see all your MP3s but I see that you have changed that.

Nucks

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »

Well there's no actual confirmation that the fish was released but judging by the color, we can only assume that it was released. I mean, why would anyone kill a fish like that? If he bonked the fish, then I have no problem with the fingers in the gills. But, and a big but here is if the fish was released, then this is definately not the proper way to be handling a fish. Who cares, how he handled it if he planned on bonking it? I guess only if the fish managed to get away but I think it was clear this fish would go no where once it was on the sand. The question is, what happened to it after the video ended?

Just for the record, if anyone plans on releasing a fish................please do not slide it up on the sand, stick your fingers in it's gills, lift it vertically in the air by under the mouth, or bring up on shore to take a picture. As one post already said, having waders is very helpful for you and your fish. Spend the money and get a cheap pair of waders because you had a perfect spot on the sand bar to take your hero shot without barely removing the fish from the water or any other fish that you may have released. If you plan on releasing a fish, do it the right way and only have it out of the water for a few seconds, take your pics right down at the water with waders on and cradle it from underneath on both ends.

When a fish is slid onto sand like the way this one was, it is so easy for sand, gravel, muck, silt, and leaves to flood into the gill plate especially when the fish is heavily gasping like it was drawing in that type of crap. A fish should be handled with care to ensure that future generations are not compromised. We all love fishing, so let's treat them with the respect they deserve to ensure we always have a bountiful fishery like we do.

Assuming that this fish was released, these are the sorts of things we need to eliminate on the river. I don't have an answer on how to end this type of behavior, but I do know there is no need for it on any river.

I completely agree with Dennyman. Sure, there are lessons to be learned, some are learned the easy way, and some are learned the hard way. For the most part, people should do a little background work on what they plan on doing before they jump right into it. This guy has been around long enough to know what the difference between right and wrong is.

At this point, who cares about the flossing, everyone has done that whether they like it or not. If you do it intentionally, then thats a different story and we have no idea if thats what was done here.

Very nice video of the swimming salmon though.