Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Cat 4 V-Boat ???  (Read 5288 times)

sassygrams

Fish Cat 4 V-Boat ???
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »

May I have some opinions please .....  Depending on what they are, I am going today to buy one.  Last year was the first year I had a belly boat, and I honestly have to say I didn't like it.  I felt really down in the water - wasn't a calming feeling.  May I please have some pro's and con's to this type.

Thank you,
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
Re: Fish Cat 4 V-Boat ???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »

V boat, belly boat, u boat....I have tried them all.  While the V is better than the belly I have recently switched to a pontoon boat and will not look back.  This opens up more water to me as I can drift down many rivers on my pontoon, mount a motor if need be, hold position by using flippers (like a tube) and I sit all the way out of the water.  Also changing flies and landing fish is much easier.

The only issue with the pontoon boat is transportation.  I have a small car so I have to deflate the pontoons and re inflate them once at my destination.  If you have a roof rack then you have no issues.

I bought mine used for a couple hundred bucks which is about the same price as the Fish Cat 4. 

Note:  I still like to occasionally pull out the V and float around on some of the smaller urban lakes but on a larger lake you will likely be wishing you had a pontoon.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

sassygrams

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »

Thank you - I have a small car as well - compared to a belly boat I think the fish cat looks better as far as comfort and not being so immursed in the water.  I went through 2 last year by the seams ripping and I am by far a big girl - so my faith in them has dwindled - I don't want to swim with the fish.  Other than the pontoon boats, does anyone have one of these fish cat boats?
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

hey i have a super fat cat but my dad uses a fish cat 4. we really like them both. you sit out of the water and they move pretty good compared to an original float tube. i would deffinately recommend getting one, i dont think you will regret it. alsp i would suggest getting a scotty anchor mount which you can place right on the back instead of having your anchor off the side, works great.

Chromie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

I use my all spring summer and fall and i have no problems with it the fish cat is not heavy so its not bad on at 20 min hike in lake. the first one i had a bear really liked it and ate it

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »

my dad also has a Vboat which everyone else uses and loves  ;D he has used it before getting the pontoon and loved it as well. I have only sat in it and kicked around a bit and it was pretty comfy. they are also perfect for carrying because they are fairly easy to pack around and blow up in about 3 minutes
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »

I'd try to borrow one before you buy.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

RossP

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »

I have a Fish Cat 4 and love it. My wife likes it also.
We also have a U-tube and neither one of us like it as much as the Fish Cat.
My son who is 275lbs. has used the fish cat with no problem.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »

I too have Fish Cat and really enjoy using it.  It just took me a bit of time to learn to manoeuver around (how to spin around to face the other direction).  Being higher above the water than that in a belly boat should allow you to perchance cast a little better / farther (at least for me I noticed this).

Also - very easy to transport - and if you get a double action pump - hardly takes any time to inflate - so it'll fit nicely in any trunk.

As Chromie said - even inflated its easy to move around.  Mine has a couple of D-Rings located on the bottom so that I can attach a pair of shoulder straps when I need to go for a hike to get to the lake.

Look around - this forum or Craigslist - this time of year there should be some people who are 'upgrading' and possibly have something to sell to make room for the new  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »

I've got a Fish Cat Deluxe and it's a nice piece of equipment.  It does sit you higher in the water, and it is much easier to move around then in a conventional float tube.  However, you still have to kick around and your legs will be in the water, and you'll be limited to small lakes or limited areas.  Having good quality fins (I use force fins) makes a big difference.  I didn't mind being in a float tube and I used one for many years before upgrading to the V boat.  I defn like the Fish Cat more - it's so easy to pump up and transport - far and away more advantageous than a float tube.  No more looking for nearby gas stations to pump up the tube!   ;)

Pontoons boats are good if you have to cover water.  The main disadvantage (as mentioned earlier) is that they're more difficult to transport, esp. if you're alone.  I find the frame part to be a bit bulky to carry around, and if you just have a car, as opposed to an SUV or truck, then it becomes even more challenging for cargo space.

Good luck!   :)

sassygrams

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:43:17 PM »

Bought a Fish Cat 4 LCS last night, and took her for a spin today and absolutely loved it - so much, I am going tomorrow :)

It was very easy to get around....  i'll have a learn a bit more about moving in a circle though, but sat up nice and high and found it much easier to cast than when using the belly boat last summer.  Maybe one day I will get into a pontoon boat, but for right now I am very HAPPY! 

Tight lines everyone :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

Congrats on the purchase.  I'm glad you like it.  Btw - my mistake - I've got a Super Fat Cat, not a Fish Cat.  I think they're very similar...

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »

You haven't lived until you see a loon underneath a belly boat chasing your fish. :o :o :o
Funny, I get so relaxed in my belly boat, I've woken with a start when my feet hit shore. A few times. :D
http://

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »

I've used a Caddis H-shaped tube.  It was OK.  The Fishcat was a small improvement.  V boats work in a lot of small LML lakes like Alice, Mike, Brohm, and Browning Lks.  Both are unsuitable for larger lakes and are a pain in the wind.  I now have a 10' aluminum boat, its leaps and bounds better for interior lakes as they tend to be too large for a v-boat.   The small aluminum seems to work better than the pontoons and certainly is more comfortable when you spend 10+hrs/day on the water.

sassygrams

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

Thought I would update - I LOVE my Fish Cat 4.   I spent 10 hours in it Saturday and 12 hours Sunday, a bit stiff but not too bad. 

Last year I had a belly boat, and didn't feel near as safe, nor was it as easy to manuveur - getting around was a breeze.  So very happy.  Thank you for the information on them.