Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: clogged gas line?  (Read 3808 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
clogged gas line?
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »

Last time I took my boat out I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to unscrew the vent on my gas can...  By the time I realized it was sucked right in and it was full of gas too.  This made the hose pop off my outboard before I figured out what was going on.  I then opened the vent and all was fine for awhile but the next day my motor started cutting out on me similar to the time my kill switch goofed up but that has been replaced with a new one.  I think the problem this time is the gas hose is some how messed up because everytime it cuts out the motor seems dry and I have to pump it lots and while pumping it feels like there might be air in the hose or else it isn't sucking up the gas properly.  I discovered that by having someone pump the bulb while the motor was running it would work fine but when they stopped it would eventually cut out.  I just had my motor in for a yearly maintenance a couple months ago and it was it didn't need any repairs.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:21:34 PM by Eagleye »

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: clogged gas line?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »

You may have a dried up cracked o-ring at the quick-connect.

Sometimes it pays to get a new hose as they do eventually breakdown.

Change the fuel filter.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »

I guess I should have bought that service manual already... Is the o-ring on the gas line or the engine?  Where abouts is the fuel filter?  Thanks

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

Depends on the size of your motor? but most are inline beside the carbs.......make....size....matters?
perhaps try a new fuel line ,from the tank to the motor....I had a fuel line collaps (the inner liner), Check the fuel tank for debris...

Rieber was that you below peg leg today? barfing.......

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »

its the fuel pump on the motor.

it uses check valves and diaphrams, along with engine pulses.

you will see it when you follow the fuel line, common and cheep to buy.

scuntor

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »

Second on the fuel pump diaphragm. Could also have collapsed part of the fuel line creating a restriction.

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »

Last time I took my boat out I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to unscrew the vent on my gas can...  By the time I realized it was sucked right in and it was full of gas too.  This made the hose pop off my outboard before I figured out what was going on.  I then opened the vent and all was fine for awhile but the next day my motor started cutting out on me similar to the time my kill switch goofed up but that has been replaced with a new one.  I think the problem this time is the gas hose is some how messed up because everytime it cuts out the motor seems dry and I have to pump it lots and while pumping it feels like there might be air in the hose or else it isn't sucking up the gas properly.  I discovered that by having someone pump the bulb while the motor was running it would work fine but when they stopped it would eventually cut out.  I just had my motor in for a yearly maintenance a couple months ago and it was it didn't need any repairs.  Any suggestions?
Did you make sure that the vent is actually venting after the initial mishap.Was it damaged?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I think the vent on the gas can is working because it relased all the built up pressure when I opened it.  I forgot to mention my motor is a 2 stroke 25 HP yamaha 3cylinders oil injection.

scuntor

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »

These motors are actually super simple once you get into them. Heres to hoping it's an easy fix to get you back on the river.
As far as trouble shooting goes, being able to pump the ball and having the motor fire shows you that it is a fuel intake problem and not something more complicated (or expensive) like the carb or ignition system.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:30:36 PM by scuntor »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

glad to hear that it won't be a costly repair.  I think I will bring it to my old neighbour whom used to fix em for a living and ask him to help trouble shoot it for me... unless of course he is on his yearly and lenghty trip to the Dominican Republic.  I tend to think it is just the fuel line though.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »

no need to trouble shoot, you already did!

I discovered that by having someone pump the bulb while the motor was running it would work fine but when they stopped it would eventually cut out. 

new fuel lines, primer and tank, will cost more then the fuel pump.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »

Borrow someone else's fuel line. It could be the bulb pump on it.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »

I ran into the same problem a week ago , I have a 30 Yamaha 2 stroke . I had bought 2 Yamaha 3 gallon tanks from Galleon and the 1 tank I ran into allot of air in the line and had to keep pumping the ball to keep it going . I switched tanks and it pumped up solid and ran great after that , and still does . I think my problem was my connector on the tank .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:29:08 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »

Thanks sounds like a new fuel line will do the trick.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:03:10 PM by Eagleye »

sreeb

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »

I had the same problem. I replaced the fuel line and was good to go.