Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best river salmon casting reel.  (Read 18870 times)

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
Best river salmon casting reel.
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:29:49 PM »

What reel would be the best for catchig salmon in rivers.
crab cakes

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Best river salmon casting reel.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Abu's are a good starting reel, easy to use, and a very good price.
The Bigger The Better!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »

I have kicked the crap out of my shimano calcutta for 8 years now and all I have replaced is a worm gear and the tooth that goes with it...not even the drag washers have been changed and I just nailed another large fish...a 32 lber this tuesday and it performed flawlessly.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »

whats the price on those reels..
crab cakes

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »

I just got myself a calcutta and so far I just love it. But before that I had a quantum iron. I have also kick the u know what out of it and I have never had a problem with it. That reel you can get for under a hundred bucks at army and navy. The calcutta 400b you can get for about $300 almost anywhere but it only comes in right handed. The calcutta 400te comes in both left and right handed but you will most likely pay around $450. I hope this helps.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »

Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur®7000 C3

The best-selling round baitcast ever just got better. Redesigned with enhancements that serious anglers want, while retaining the characteristics that made them special. New to the C3 series is the smoother and stronger Carbon Matrix Drag, improved chemical nickel-coated levelwind system, six-pin centrifugal brake, and stronger brass gears.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »

Calcutta 400.  Smoooooth!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

what about the  Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6600 D5  im thinking about buying that reel , looks fairly decsent to me
crab cakes

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »

Thank you all for you help i am getting the  Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6600 D5  , its nothing special but will get me from a to b
crab cakes

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 09:24:12 PM »

I would not buy a 7000 for flossing or drift fishing...its a very big reel to be used in that application...bar fishing or off shore trolling/jigging is another story but for the vedder and BB the fraser a an abu 6500 or calcutta 400 is the perfect size.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:27:17 PM »

what about a  6600
crab cakes

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »

Personally i dont like most abu reels,unless you are willing to spend big bucks on the top end models even then if you are willing to spend the money the calcutta 400 is the perfect reel for our local rivers,i have had mine for 5 years and have never had a problem with it,the drag system is very smooth and casting is very good.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:46:54 PM »

I would not buy a 7000 for flossing or drift fishing...its a very big reel to be used in that application...bar fishing or off shore trolling/jigging is another story but for the vedder and BB the fraser a an abu 6500 or calcutta 400 is the perfect size.

I have been using my 7000 for many different things, and it has worked awesome for all of them.  Sturgeon, Barfing and bouncing for sockeye.  It casts a mile, very strong drag that can and has handled many Sturgeon.  Sure it is a bigger reel, but you do get used to that and I don't even notice it anymore!!  I would not you it for the Vedder ot any smaller river.  But I bought it as a Fraser river reel, and I haven't had a need for anything else iin the last 3 years or so. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »

You can still use it thanks to me  ;). Remember that day for springs when we where searching the shallows for that piece. Boy you sure was lucky that I was there  ;D ;D.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

The 7000 is a heavy reel but when push comes to shove I can surf fish to shore with it. I have 3 weeks off to build up the arm muscles anyway. I hate loosing the big one because you don't have the umph to teach those smillies who's in charge. Just got to get one on now as I haven't caught one with it yet. Though I have pulled in some decent snags. Not a good reel for smaller streams.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?