Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly tying books  (Read 2982 times)

creeper778

Fly tying books
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »

Anybody have any recommendations on any fly pattern books ??

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fly tying books
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »

Fly Tying Bible is a good one to start with for general trout flies
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

TacoChris

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »

Stillwater Selections by Phil Rowley. Gives some instruction as well as being very usable due to the way the pages open.

Fly Patterns of BC by Art Lingren has most of the BC Classics but lacks some of the more modern flies

There are many books but I find most  are a little lacking in detailed tying instructions. Some ties are quite complex and looking at them in a picture does not help a lot to put it together. If you are comfortable with all the different techniques they are good. Other wise you may do better on the internet searching patterns.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »

One of the best is Fly Fishing British Columbia ... edited by Karl Bruhn, published by Heritage House and produced by Interactive Broadcasting corp (fishbc.com). I did a lot of work on it drawing many fly patterns and instructing the main artist, Debra Bevaart with my sketches and photos. It's one big downfall is the cover which is a hideous green and orange. The cover completely takes away from an otherwise great book of artwork and excellent information.