Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey lines  (Read 6914 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Spey lines
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

I recently bought a spey rod/reel but now im totaly clueless when it comes to the line can someone recommend me what kind of line i should buy?

MandF

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Spey lines
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »

What rod/reel did you get?

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »

It really depends on what the pay load is that you are delivering. Big ugly weighted intruders? Light wets? Dries? I find it easier to start with the type of fly and work backwards.

Ie compact skagits heads, t-whatever tips and intruders, mid belly lines, long belly lines etc
A swung fly is the best fly.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »

I forgot to add that the reel is actualy a 10 wt fly reel.The rod is http://theanglersroost.com/products/graphite-rods/graphite-spey-rods/13-ft-4-pc-78-wt/.I not sure what type of flys i will use probably popcicles and maybe some other flies like that.

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:16:53 AM »

I forgot to add that the reel is actualy a 10 wt fly reel.The rod is http://theanglersroost.com/products/graphite-rods/graphite-spey-rods/13-ft-4-pc-78-wt/.I not sure what type of flys i will use probably popcicles and maybe some other flies like that.
I have the same rod and also the 14ft 7/8 Euro spey,the rods are cannons.Contact Steve Godshall at Speywerks,541-840-2594 as he built me 2 lines for the rods,he has the blueprints for each of the rods,as Bob Meiser,his brother in law had a hand in designing the rods,the are aboslutely the best spey rods I have ever cast for the money.He built me a SKANDIT head which can be used for Skagit/Scandi casting by adding or removing the front 10ft section.Prices are same as most name brand spey lines.Be prepared to spend about 15 minutes with him on the phone,as he will ask alot of questions about your style,type of fishing,etc,etc,each line is custom built for each individual............GL
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »

Im unfamiliar with the names of lines you guys are telling me but im assuming you need first backing then?Thats where im totally clueless alot of people talk about Skagit lines?If possible can someone tell me line that you have been using that i can buy locally?And im using a 10 wt fly reel so 10 wt spey line or 8 wt spey line?
Sorry for all the questions but i realy need help.

Thanks MandF
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:26:43 AM by MetalAndFeathers »

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »

Im unfamiliar with the names of lines you guys are telling me but im assuming you need first backing then?Thats where im totally clueless alot of people talk about Skagit lines?If possible can someone tell me line that you have been using that i can buy locally?And im using a 10 wt fly reel so 10 wt spey line or 8 wt spey line?
Sorry for all the questions but i realy need help.

Thanks MandF
Please talk to Steve,it will save you a whole lot of money in the end.It sounds like you are new to the world of spey,which is totally different than conventional fly lines,each spey caster has his preference for grain weight for the same rod,some like to line it heavy,some light.In spey you need backing,running line and the head,some running lines are built into the head,welcome to spey world of total line confusion.Google the net for your rod,you find tons of info and reviews from Spey pages
                                         Lefty Kreh

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

I researched all this for about an hour so this is what i got.Backing then running line to a shooting head preferably a skagit compact (because i will be using sink tips).And yes i will contact Steve soon.

MandF

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

I researched all this for about an hour so this is what i got.Backing then running line to a shooting head preferably a skagit compact (because i will be using sink tips).And yes i will contact Steve soon.

MandF
Good call:)
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »

your reel size does not dictate what line weight you need. When you use a spey rod your reels needs to be heavy enough to balance the long rod. Usually the reel will be 2 sizes larger than the rods line rating (8wt rod - 10wt reel) Another way to go is to find out the rods weight in ounces and the get a reel that weighs 1+ ounces heavier than the rod depending on its length to balance it.

In regards to your line weight. If your going with a Skagit I think something 600-650 grains should fit your rod very well. If your just starting out you don't need to call a line maker. If your tossing sink tips your most likely going to want a skagit anyhow. If you choose you rather fish a more traditional type line than a 7/8 Delta or similar would fit the bill.

Running lines are actually all about personal preference. Some people really like the hollow core mono ones, some like the solid mono or using 30-40lb normal mono as a running line and then many people like using fly line types. Mono will shoot further with less effort but they don't mend as well and are not as sensitive due to their stretch. Fly line type ones (connect core for example) are low or no stretch, mend really well however they don't shoot as easily because they are not "slick" like mono and you will lose a little bit of distance due to their friction against the rod eyes as it shoots (I think I lost less than 10' of distance so its no biggie to get better mending and sensitivity)

I gather your new to spey fishing so I would also suggest you get yourself some casting lessons to help the learning curve
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

Thanks hook.

mvelasco

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I ended up getting a #9 switch chucker on my dually 8136. Could still toss and turn over pretty well and even landed a steelie on it with a 5/5 ft T14 mow tip. Ended up cutting the chucker head off and attaching a Skagit short head and now I can really launch my line out. I should note that the switch chucker line is all integrated from running line to a 14 foot handling section into the head. Essentially paid 140 for 2 heads and running line.