Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing place around Van for this Saturday  (Read 3632 times)

Zanna

Fishing place around Van for this Saturday
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »

Hi,

This Saturday I want to go fishing but I need to get back fairly early (around lunch time) so I want to stay near by Vancouver. So no vedder o anything beyond Ports Mann bridge which will reduce lanes on the highway for work and I guess it will cause huge delays.

I usually hit the mouth of the cap when I want to stay close but last week was really bad and I heard from others on this forum it's been bad for a while.

Do you guys have any suggestion for places that are fishing decent these days (and where I can keep salmon if I catch them)?

My set up is a medium 10'6" fenwick Rod, a baitcaster reel with 20lb main line and waders.

Thanks for your help
Zanna

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing place around Van for this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »

Hi,

This Saturday I want to go fishing but I need to get back fairly early (around lunch time) so I want to stay near by Vancouver. So no vedder o anything beyond Ports Mann bridge which will reduce lanes on the highway for work and I guess it will cause huge delays.

I usually hit the mouth of the cap when I want to stay close but last week was really bad and I heard from others on this forum it's been bad for a while.

Do you guys have any suggestion for places that are fishing decent these days (and where I can keep salmon if I catch them)?

My set up is a medium 10'6" fenwick Rod, a baitcaster reel with 20lb main line and waders.

Thanks for your help
Zanna

If you are not going out to the Vedder and you are not going to the Cap, then any river in between is as good as any other.  No one is going to say the Coquitlam River is fishing "decent" these days, as that would just bring a chorus of cries about broadcasting secret rivers on the internet. Not to mention anyone with that kind of knowledge is probably not interested in anyone else hearing about it and crowding them out of their spot.  I would, therefore, suggest heading down to the Fraser and fish near any river mouth that has a salmon run.  Start casting spoons or spinners, you got a good chance of hitting a coho or chum these days.
Not all those who wander are lost

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

You could try the Stave River and drive along the Barnett Highway. 

Zanna

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Fic although Stave is all the way down to mission too. I'll keep in mind for another time.

Mah SandMan I'm far from asking secret locations here. A river is a pretty big piece of water to point towards and I was deliberately asking for decent not great or best ever. I don't believe that next weekend there are going to be 200 more people at the Stave now just because it was mention as may be decent. People that wants fish will probabbly pile up at the vedder anyway, but I respect the fact that some people prefer to keep good privacy.

I'm really just building up more knowledge on the area. I'll probabbly be out on the water exploring and see what comes out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:03:49 AM by Zanna »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Fic although Stave is all the way down to mission too. I'll keep in mind for another time.

Mah SandMan I'm far from asking secret locations here. A river is a pretty big piece of water to point towards and I was deliberately asking for decent not great or best ever. I don't believe that next weekend there are going to be 200 more people at the Stave now just because it was mention as may be decent. People that wants fish will probabbly pile up at the vedder anyway, but I respect the fact that some people prefer to keep good privacy.

I'm really just building up more knowledge on the area. I'll probabbly be out on the water exploring and see what comes out.

Like I said, I just don't see anyone offering up any info on any river other than the Cap, Stave, Vedder, or Chehalis on this site as every attempt in the past has been met with hostility.  I personally have not fished any other river as the last river I fished was the Stave last weekend and I figured from your post it was out of your range.  My advice stands, explore the river mouths along the Fraser as fish that are moving up the Fraser will often move into the trib mouth to "clear their gills" before moving on up the Fraser.
Not all those who wander are lost

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

There isn't any info because there has been no rain, all the rivers are too low to bother fishing right now. I have been back from Alberta for over a week and the whole time I was there I was itching to get back and get fishing , but I haven't even picked up a rod since I got back. None of the local rivers are worth fishing right now and personally I wouldn't even bother with the Vedder until we get some rain. Tie some leaders, organise your gear and save your money until we get a good few days of rain. One of the most valuable lessons I learned so far on my fishing journey is knowing when not to bother fishing! Soon all the rivers will be full of fish, go and do some exploring and you will be rewarded, right now you are just wasting your time!!

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

There isn't any info because there has been no rain, all the rivers are too low to bother fishing right now. I have been back from Alberta for over a week and the whole time I was there I was itching to get back and get fishing , but I haven't even picked up a rod since I got back. None of the local rivers are worth fishing right now and personally I wouldn't even bother with the Vedder until we get some rain. Tie some leaders, organise your gear and save your money until we get a good few days of rain. One of the most valuable lessons I learned so far on my fishing journey is knowing when not to bother fishing! Soon all the rivers will be full of fish, go and do some exploring and you will be rewarded, right now you are just wasting your time!!

Well said Nick, welcome back.  See you soon..

Zanna

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »

You might be right but I'm in a fishing mood right now  ;D

I may hit the tackle shop tomorrow for some news and/or just jump in car Sat early morning and hit some random water.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

I will be out tomorrow. Going to try beach fishing at ambleside at first light, then try rice lake after. A few friends whent yesterday and caught 3 fish between the 2 of them.