Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheam Poachers Never Showed Up in Court  (Read 5161 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Cheam Poachers Never Showed Up in Court
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »

Should this come as a surprise to anyone ? They have shown a total disregard for the law and this is just another example of that. In addition to poaching charges, they should be convicted of contempt of court and sentenced accordingly. But I'm skeptical of that happening.......

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »

Sad, really sad.

One land = One Law

Soooo, If I was charged with a fishing violation and had a court date set, could I call my lawyer and tell him that I have my ceremonial snow worshiping day on the same day as my court appearance and not have to show up in court? I think they would  be coming after The Randog with a pair of silver bracelets?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 09:06:28 PM by Randog »

blueback

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 08:56:22 PM »

Ya know, it seems that when (any) courts/legal system/authority seem to do nothing about a publicly percieved injustice in the face of irrefutable evidence, all faith is lost in said system and vigilantiism (sp?) prevails. I have heard numerous respectable folk speak to this end in the past few months. It would be a great tragedy if the situation came to this.     

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 08:51:06 AM »

The one guy said that he caught 10000 sockeye :o, according to the Van. Sun.  I wonder if they used to catch that many each 100-200 years ago?  One guy that didn't show up was a metis.  I thought the metis were from Man/Sask.  What rights does he have to Fraser Sockeye?  I was glad to read the article in today's Sun.

Seems that they want to retain their "rights" to the fish because of heritage concerns (some legitimacy) but they want to use modern meathods.  I dont see how modern meathods and cultural rights mesh.  I saw a program on the knowledge network when I was in Williams Lake in the fall. A native fellow was showing his son how to fish at the same spot where they have been for countless generations.  He made his own dip net from scratch.  The only modern things were a synthetic net for his dip net and a safety harness attached to the rock and a wheel barrow to tote the fish.  It was refreshing to see when you compare it to the Cheam meathods.

Two issues as I see it.  Cultural Rights (should use traditional meathods and equipment) and Commercial Fishing (same rights to everyone).

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »

Throw the book at them....its time to stop this BS. There are not enough of these fish left to have ANYONE flaunting the rules.
You don't make friends with salad.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:22:55 PM »

so there is a warrant out for there arrest  :o
question and im asking this because i really dont know
does canada have bounty hunters?
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

mess

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:27:50 PM »

If they have a warrant out on them doesn't the police handle that and a bounty hunter works for a bail bondsman. 

halorail

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:04:11 AM »

It make it very hard to stick to the laws & to teach my kids to do what is right. This is from the guys who got away with shooting a cop car full of hole at gustufson lake. (hope I spelled it right).  ???
Pack Out Your Trash

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 10:54:53 PM »

There may be a warrant for their arrest but unfortunatly we don't have a justice system with enough balls to do anything about it.

One Canada and several sets of rules :-\ :-\

How long do they get to hide behind the past? 
No Nookie Like Chinookie