Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Im a Canadian Resident i have a question about saltwater license.  (Read 2573 times)

ssd0904

My mom doesnt fish, my brother and i only fish in saltwater, last time we tried to get license they said we need one of our parents to get one. Im not sure because it never says that on regulations and i thought the person might be trying to get my mom to buy the license because mine and my brother's is free. Even though my mom doesnt fish, does she need fishing license, and can she obatain licenses for my brother and me, without any license? Thanks.

ssd0904

Re: Im a Canadian Resident i have a question about saltwater license.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »

This sounds a bit confusing. My question is

-Does my mom have to obtain a license to be able to obtain licenses for my brother and me
-Does my mom need a license if she stays in the fishing area, when she doesnt fish anyways?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »

For saltwater licence, if you are under the age of 16, you have to get a licence but it is free. Either you or your parents can get the licence for you. Your parents DO NOT need to purchase a licence if you are the only person who intends to fish. Like what FF said, although the licence is free, you still need to purchase a salmon tag if you intend to keep salmon.

You can obtain your saltwater fishing licence online too: https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/elic/index.cfm?lang=en

For freshwater licence, it is completely different. If you are under the age of 16, you do not need a fishing licence but you must be accompanied by a licenced adult.

ssd0904

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »

Oh man i didnt know about the freshwater licensing with an adult needed to be accompanied by a child.... And thanks for the info about the saltwater.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »

Sorry, there was a mistake in my last post. For freshwater fishing, if you are under the age of 16 and a BC resident, you do not need to be accompanied by a licenced adult.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »

I don't think you need to be a BC resident... As long as you under the age of 16, you can fish in any freshwater for free and retain your own legal limit.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »

I don't think you need to be a BC resident... As long as you under the age of 16, you can fish in any freshwater for free and retain your own legal limit.

Thats not true.

In freshwater if you are under 16 and a non resident you must be accompanied by a person (resident or non-resident) who has the appropriate licences and stamps as well as any fish you keep must be counted as part of the catch and possession of your accompanying licence holder

for reference http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#Younger

ssd0904

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »

Even if you are resident, you need to be accompanied by an adult with a license? (Freshwater, i get the saltwater part perfectly)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »

Even if you are resident, you need to be accompanied by an adult with a license? (Freshwater, i get the saltwater part perfectly)

Sorry, there was a mistake in my last post. For freshwater fishing, if you are under the age of 16 and a BC resident, you do not need to be accompanied by a licenced adult.

ssd0904

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »

Phew, thank god because i went once i thought if there was an officer, i would have paid the fine. Thanks Rodney.

PS. I bought 4 Gibbs spoons today for trout! ;D