Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Lake  (Read 8009 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Chilliwack Lake
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »

Hey Folks,

I'm heading out to Chillwack lake to camp and fish for a night with a friend and his little guy.

We have a 14'ft with a 15hp and Electric, looking to wet some lines.  I have read a lot of older reports, anything recent?  We do have tha ability to do light spinning and fly casting/trolling.  But also have a couple of manual downriggers and levelwinds to drop down if need be with apex's and the like.

Any tips on general areas?  The lake is big, so at least a nudge in the right direction and depths to start at would be appreciated.  We will probably only have 4-5 hours total fishing time, given the 4 year old that will be on board and the built in impatience that is to be expected.

Not looking for the secret sauce, again just some pointers.  We are C&R, if that matters.  Feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks Everyone.

D.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »

Hey Folks,

I'm heading out to Chillwack lake to camp and fish for a night with a friend and his little guy.

We have a 14'ft with a 15hp and Electric, looking to wet some lines.  I have read a lot of older reports, anything recent?  We do have tha ability to do light spinning and fly casting/trolling.  But also have a couple of manual downriggers and levelwinds to drop down if need be with apex's and the like.

Any tips on general areas?  The lake is big, so at least a nudge in the right direction and depths to start at would be appreciated.  We will probably only have 4-5 hours total fishing time, given the 4 year old that will be on board and the built in impatience that is to be expected.

Not looking for the secret sauce, again just some pointers.  We are C&R, if that matters.  Feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks Everyone.

D.

The kid might amaze you and last a lot longer. just remember to bring lots of snacks and anything to entertain the child (toys, games, ipad....).

I have been taking my oldest out since he was 4 (now 6) and he would last many hours out in the boat even if the action was slow. He even sat in the boat without complaint for 4 straight hours last Easter (it was like 6 degrees and windy) on Kidd lake before we even got a bite. I always bring snacks and the ipad for him out on the boat. I have even been bringing him on day lake trips but I may just be lucky and he is a fishing fanatic like me. If we are camping I don't usually bring tons into the boat for him because we can head in/out easy enough but if the fish are biting he'll stay out there all day. My youngest is also starting to be great in the boat now as well (turns 4 in August) so maybe I am just lucky and these boys are picking up on my fishing obsession  :D

Make it fun for them, kids love trolling as well so you should be good.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »

Try around Paleface and Depot creek mouths, upper Chilliwack as well, but perhaps start at the outlet, right near the campsite, as sockeye smolts might still be migrating out so try a while there, something bright and flashy.  Remember, trout and char over 50 cm must be released ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

Had 3 favourite lakes & this jewel is one of them.
We'd use Ford Fender & troll deep / slow speed.
24 in leader. Lure & bait.
Got into rainbows & char/dolly
We did get into some nasty conditions so did like to troll just around the corner.
We avoided where the river starts. Currents.
Bring lots of coffee & walnuts !

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »

Fished it last Sunday. No action on deep trolled plugs ( 50 ft ) usually this produces for us. Lost one Char  close to the boat casting spoons at the creek mouths at the far end of the lake. The wind and chop kicked up like clock work come afternoon cutting our outing shirt. Have fished this lake for many yrs and have found it to be a moody lake. That being said, always enjoy fishing this lake and the spectacular scenery that goes along with it. There are some large Char to be had if you have time and patience on your side.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »

A yellow professor fly tipped with a maggot under a float or fly fishing works for whitefish in there.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »

Depth sounder is key, this will show you what depth the fish are suspending at, look for schools of baitfish or actual fish markings. Lead core line is good for trolling and hitting the right depth. Troll shorelines using small spoons that represent salmon yearlings(sockeye) or small kokanee(same thing). West side of lake shoreline is probably your best bet.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »

Terrific stuff guys...really appreciate it.

I will write a report in a couple of weeks when I get back.

D.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »

Well, we put in about 3-4 hours of actual fishing.  A couple of hits here and there including one 'take down' running a small rapala on a jet diver.  But nothing even close to a hook up.  Didn't see anyone else with any fish, just a couple of stories at the launch of one or two here or there.

With our three lines we tried one downrigger at depth that we were marking fish, one on the 20ft jet diver and one line with a half ounce and wedding band and worm for the little guy.  Hoping we could at least coax something small for him.  Nothing doing.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »

Is there a dock at the launch?  Or more of a rustic aluminum boat type launch?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »

Is there a dock at the launch?  Or more of a rustic aluminum boat type launch?

The launch is in reasonably nice shape but there isn't a dock, not that I could see when I was up there a few weeks ago anyway.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 03:28:37 PM »

No dock, launch was fine and the drop off adequate.  We launched our 16' with a 40hp no prob.  Didn't even need to be tilted up.  A few bowriders and a big wakeboat launched while we were there with no issue.

Only problem is people with kayaks for some reason taking up the main part of the launch, when there is great launching area just off of the actual backdown 'ramp'.  If they move 10 feet in either direction up or down the beach, two sets of kayakers could launch while larger boats could use the main launch at the same time.

Sorry if that sounds crass, but driving your Forester head first right down to the water's edge on the main ramp to unload a single kayak doesn't seem reasonable when there is a line-up of trailered boats waiting.

My whining aside, the launch is fine. lol

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »

Hey coming from a kayak user here I completely agree with you. I always launch my kayak away from the main launch whenever possible. Don't see why I would want to launch closer to big wakeboats and the like anyways.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »

Re-upping this thread.

Taking my wife and little one and in laws camping for a few days May long.  Just wanted to put the vibe out there again on this lake.

I'll be in my 17.5' G3 - if you see me, say hi.  Maybe we can share stories on anything that's working.

If anyone has been up there lately and has any tips, I'm ALL ears and appreciative.  Not looking for specifics of course (and I am 100% catch and release if that matters).

Everyone be safe this weekend.

banx

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »

I fished that lake a couple times last year.  I didn't go very far from the launch it self.  Fished close to the boundary.... had to tie my anchor ropes together so I could reach bottom  ::)....  fished in early am and again after dinner.... white bunny leech on sinking line worked well casted. and trolling small black/olive leeches and colorado blades picked up a couple just along the drop offs.  bunch of skinny bulls. a few fat cutties and a ton of suckers.

I could see large bulls just resting on the dead heads. it was pretty cool.