Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing In Cuba (Varadero)  (Read 20947 times)

Derp

• Tight lines!
Fishing In Cuba (Varadero)
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »

I'm headed to Varadero for a week and I'm bringing the spinning rod along to check out the fishing there.

Does anyone here have any experience shore fishing in Cuba?

I have many spoons, spinners, and recently picked up some Rapalla floating and shallow diving rattling walker lures to entice some fish.

Any information is greatly appreciated as I will post a report when I get back  :)

Cheers,

Alex
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Dogbreath

Re: Fishing In Cuba (Varadero)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »

You might find some info Here

Sam6140

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »

Derp, thanks for posting this topic.  I was thinking about going to Varadero one day, and a few weeks ago, I was trying to find anything on fishing there.  Couldn't really find anything.  I don't have an interest in paying money and going on those chartered fishing trips that they have.  Not really interested in catching gigantic fish. lol   

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you take your fishing gear with you to Cuba?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »

Tackles in luggage.  Fishing rod in travel tubes.

Sam6140

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »

thanks...what are travel tubes?  How much do you figure it would cost to take your rod & reel on a plane?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »

Not sure about Cuba, but until just over a year ago, I had the luxury of bringing two checked-in luggages with me when flying across the Atlantic. What I have done in the past, is have a Dakine snowboard bag as one luggages. I store rods in plastic rod tubes, which are available at your local tackle stores. The tube(s) are packed into the snowboard bag, wrapped in clothes for extra protection/cushion. Now, the maximum number of luggages has been reduced to one for economy class, so my new plan is to only bring four-piece rods and have them packed in a large back pack with my other items. If not, I'll still use the two luggages and pay the extra fee, which is anywhere between $50 and $150.

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »

Derp. Made my own tube for rod out of pvc plastic pipe.Fished in Nicaragua a few times.If I went again I would buy a telescoping rod that would go in my luggage.Italians use these when they fish for salmon on the Campbell River. They target spings.

slyrod

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »

Derp, as Islanddude said, plastic ABS or PVC tubbing works perfect for rod cases.  Its cheap and easy to make it yourself. This link will help guide you http://globalflyfisher.com/rodbuilding/diytube/. You can also slide some rubber padding inside the case and cap both ends with felt to help protect your rod.  I took my rod to Europe fishing in this and it worked perfectly.  And islanddude, every fisherman in italy has a telescoping rod and the stores sell them by bulk! its crazy the differnece in fishing when you move to a different country. 

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »

thank you all. My question was not regarding rod tubes though  :D

I have a 4 pc 8' spinning rod in tube.

I was more wondering if any members here have fished the caribbean and what methods?

Cheers,

Alex
When the weather's fine

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

I've fished Florida Keys both Atlantic and Gulf side.  May be same technique and setup would work for fishing in Cuba.

Casting minnow/spinners or popper retrieving slow and jerky motion near surface. 

Cast and retrieve rubber shrimp under float  (set to 1'~2' deep) near vegetation would be productive too.

If you are on boat and just want to relax.  put slice of mackerel meat (fresh bait works better) on hook (no weight needed) and just let it carry away from boat by current.  You can get cobia, snapper and mutton this way.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »

I'll be sure to try those techniques! I'ts gonna be a blast, way better then last year in Mexico!  ;D

Last year in Puerta Vallarta, I didn't bring my fishing gear so I haggled with the locals for some fishing action. For $1 a local fisherman lent me his gear and I was catching these fish on a spoon.. not sure what they were:

I also went out for a few hours via boat and caught some yellow finned tuna:

From what I've heard Cuba should have some excellent fishing  :)
When the weather's fine

Dogbreath

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »

The first one is a Mackarel-that species isn't the best eating but tasty enough.

The second fish is what Mexicans call Jurel or sometime Toro-in English it's Jack Crevalle.

From what I've heard Cuba should have some excellent fishing
In zones reserved for sportfishing Yes-most of the rest of the coast has been picked clean since the Commie govt has been starving people since forever.

Nets/dynamite you name it they'll use it it's the third world way.

If you're at all interested in catching something and are staying in a hotel zone be on the beach @ the crack of dawn and don't be surprised if some security goon tells you it's a No Fishing Zone.

I've done some Inshore in the Caribbean and am not overly impressed again people in those places have been hitting fish stocks hard for centuries and it shows.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:19:41 PM by Dogbreath »

masaville

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »

Never tried any beach fishing down there, but I tried charter in that area (Playa in Mexico) and we caught some Mahi Mahi and a 120lb Sailfish.  That was pretty crazy trying to reel that thing in....and once it was in, it was basically like having a bear in the boat.  Catch and release, more than happy to get rid of it.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »

Yep its the commie government staving the people 100% nothing to do with sanctions etc lol.
The first one is a Mackarel-that species isn't the best eating but tasty enough.

The second fish is what Mexicans call Jurel or sometime Toro-in English it's Jack Crevalle.
In zones reserved for sportfishing Yes-most of the rest of the coast has been picked clean since the Commie govt has been starving people since forever.

Nets/dynamite you name it they'll use it it's the third world way.

If you're at all interested in catching something and are staying in a hotel zone be on the beach @ the crack of dawn and don't be surprised if some security goon tells you it's a No Fishing Zone.

I've done some Inshore in the Caribbean and am not overly impressed again people in those places have been hitting fish stocks hard for centuries and it shows.

jli

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »

Depend on which hotel you stay in Cuba. Some hotel only has long beach. you cannot access to deep water unless with  a boat. Try to talk to native guys. They can arrange a boat and rod for you. A few years ago, pay $10-20/per person, they could sail you out for a half day for fishing