Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: river closure  (Read 4336 times)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
river closure
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »

I heard that the Fraser is closed right now, is this true?  Is it just for socs or is it a total river closure?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: river closure
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »

Sockeye closure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »

Sockeye closure.
For all sectors although First Nations were given some opportunity to fish for chinooks today.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:29:17 PM »

I am in no way prejudice, so don't read too far into this comment.  I hear all the time from angry people, (white, black, brown or purple) that they are sick and tired of being shut out from fishing and then see tribes fishing when and where ever they want.  True or not, it is a perception.  I understand historical and cultural practices, but we've all had to curtail our past in some way or another for the betterment of society or the environment. 

It can appear to many that tribes have been way too greedy with their allotment, whether they need the food or not.  Instead of building goodwill and disolving racial devides, this may actually strengthen them.  I know all about the abuse, and wrong doings that have occurred to their kind throughout the days of spanish conquisition, and I am in no way condoning what occurred.  However, isn't there a way that we could play on an even table now. 

I hope none of you take any of these comments as racist and in no way do I want to create any enemies.  I only want to discuss this in hopes of learning a little more. 

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »

However, isn't there a way that we could play on an even table now. 

In a land of equality they are different.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »

I am in no way prejudice, so don't read too far into this comment.  I hear all the time from angry people, (white, black, brown or purple) that they are sick and tired of being shut out from fishing and then see tribes fishing when and where ever they want.  True or not, it is a perception.  I understand historical and cultural practices, but we've all had to curtail our past in some way or another for the betterment of society or the environment. 

It can appear to many that tribes have been way too greedy with their allotment, whether they need the food or not.  Instead of building goodwill and disolving racial devides, this may actually strengthen them.  I know all about the abuse, and wrong doings that have occurred to their kind throughout the days of spanish conquisition, and I am in no way condoning what occurred.  However, isn't there a way that we could play on an even table now. 

I hope none of you take any of these comments as racist and in no way do I want to create any enemies.  I only want to discuss this in hopes of learning a little more. 
This is very difficult to change as you may know conservation is first on the list, then First Nations for food, social and ceremonial needs. As well the new treaties being voted on and passed will allow them I believe to legally sell part of their catch.

The bottom line for all users is in my mind that we should all work to save fish for the future and make sure enough reach the spawning grounds each season. However in all sectors there is a greed factor from some and that is what should try to correct.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »

The tribes in Washington State are allowed to sell their catch right now.  This also doesn't go over so well with some folks. 

I think you're right however, that if we can all try to be on the same page as far as conservation goes, perhaps things might be better in the future. 

glog

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »

are drift nets allowed now?

Saw them set a drift net 5 times yesterday 1 mile below pipeline at hope between 2 and 5 pm

Then boat went by and they disappeared didnt see them again.  Its same boat i see every year from beginning of august right through to september.

It comes to the top of the run drops a big weight and then backs across the river dropping the net and then they drift way down the bootom end at least a couple of miles.

There's another boat that drift nets seabird island but havent been able to get there to see since last year.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:35:14 AM »

My mum is involved with a homeless shelter that runs a food (dinner) program.  A local tribe gave the shelter 200 sockeye about 2 weeks ago.  My dad handled some of these fish and he said they looked like they were last years fish that they were clearing out.  Now dont get me wrong, I am not complaining about a donation of fish to the shelter...but if they have 200+ pieces to give away to make room for this years fish, then I cant help but htink they are allocated/taking too much and who knows how many are still kicking around in the deep freeze (I imagine they have a reefer).

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »

are drift nets allowed now?

Saw them set a drift net 5 times yesterday 1 mile below pipeline at hope between 2 and 5 pm

Then boat went by and they disappeared didnt see them again.  Its same boat i see every year from beginning of august right through to september.

It comes to the top of the run drops a big weight and then backs across the river dropping the net and then they drift way down the bootom end at least a couple of miles.

There's another boat that drift nets seabird island but havent been able to get there to see since last year.
Yes they are allowed as of a few years ago and will be a way they will be fishing in the future along with set nets..

The bad side of this as some drifters have set their net so close to the shore they take out the bar rods. The Master had it happen this year and lost some gear.

Rodney, Nina and I had to pull the lines two years ago to prevent this happening to us, actually a video of that is on u tube I believe.

flatlander

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »

roeman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

Things have changed in the last 50 years for every Canadian, why are natives still holding on to their so called tribal rights. 
Can't they go get a job like all other Canadians are raised to do and contribute to society rather that just take.
I work for a contractor and we do work for a builder in Chilliwack, which so far has been over 100 homes, the builder does not have to pay any tax. No one can tell me that the builder is not a multi millionaire, so why not contribute to the taxes like every other Canadian.......... Why not hire people from his tribe and get them off the river, teach them how to make a living instead of rape every other Canadian...
Are you fishin or catchin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:24 PM »

If you feel changes are needed and have concerns the best is to contact your MP's as they will be the ones to make the changes in the long run.

These issues are very complex as we all know and be prepared for a lot of work if you really want to see changes. I have been doing this for over 30 years and have some success along with some disappointments but one feels good that at least you tried.

I and many others have and are working on several issues at this time so I wish you the best of luck if you wish to tackle it.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 09:27:23 PM »

OK now I am confused?Is there or is there not a native sockeye opening?I was out boating with a bud today and witnessed sockeye being kept after being pulled from the net.I spoke with one native guy and he said that he was using Spring nets then shortly after we see another boat keeping soxs.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »

"using spring nets" is a safe answer to your question.  I have heard that these "spring nets" don't just catch Chinook Salmon.  It is probably very difficult both physically and diplomatically to check all nets to ensure they meet certain standards.  I am not assuming that anyone is willingly poaching.  For all I know, First Nation has every right to catch sockeye whenever they please.