Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to attach roe bag to hook?  (Read 12355 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
How to attach roe bag to hook?
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »

With cold weather I am leaning towards roe bags as cold finger makes frequent roe change difficult.
I use to attach roe bag on the bait loop but found it to be not so good for hook ups
so switched to hooking on the hook bend but found the bag not staying on too well during casts.
Any tips on how I might keep them on the hook better?
Also, recommendations on optimum hook size vs size of roe bag would be appreciated.

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: How to attach roe bag to hook?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

How many eggs are you using in a roe bag? I typically only use one or two singles in a bag and a very small tuft of wool with a 4 hook and attached with the bait loop and don't have any problems for Coho and Steelies with this set up. Those water hardened eggs are bouncy though so I could see the value of going up a hook size or two if you have bigger bags than a couple of eggs unlike fishing big golfballs of roe when you can use a small hook in comparison and still seem to hook up most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:42:45 PM by nickredway »

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »

I use a double egg loop knot. Pierce the bag thru the middle onto the bend of the hook and then secure the bag by putting the tied end of the bag thru the bottom loop. Then I use the top loop to attach some wool. This way seems to work best for me. The only time I have to re-bait is if I get snagged. Hope this helps.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »

How many eggs are you using in a roe bag? I typically only use one or two singles in a bag and a small tuft of wool with a 4 hook and attached with the bait loop and don't have any problems for Coho and Steelies. Those water hardened eggs are bouncy though so I could see the value of going up a hook size or two if you have bigger bags than a couple of eggs unlike big golfballs of roe with you can still use a size 2 hooks up.

I don't know how many in them, but are about size of a nickel or so.
As I don't have any single eggs, I am using roe skeins cut up and wrapped up into roe bags so they will be more durable.
When I put them on a bait loop they seem to get squashed too much.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »

if you use spiderwire and tie your roe bags tightly you can put it at the bend of the hook,i have been putting my roe bags at the bend for years and the roe bags if tied well will last a long time.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »

Just hook it underneath the knot

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »

Hook it under the knot and then bring the loop over the bag but not the knot and cinch down, the loop is then reinforcing the knot and the bag should stay on until the bag mesh breaks.

floatfisher

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »

Just under the knot is the best I've found.

ShaunO

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Just hook it underneath the knot

X2

Keep it simple.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »

I was out this morning and fished roe bag for 30 minutes before losing it to a snag. Just rigged underneath the knot