Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canadian on line fishing stores?  (Read 19612 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Canadian on line fishing stores?
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »

--On line Canadian fishing stores... any good ones?
--I mean not Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fishin hole... nothing against them just looking for some local..or other provinces that may have interesting items we haven't seen much of.
--IE: where do you get your super secret lures on line that nobody else has yet.

-- One of my favourites was Doaks fly shop as they used to be distributor for Partridge Hooks of England... aslo has lots of atlantic fly material which i found worked well out here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:20:51 PM by skaha »

noxcape

Re: Canadian on line fishing stores?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »

hey skaha try this guy his names bruce hes a great guy

http://www.brucestacklebox.com/

Dogbreath

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »

--Wasn't contending fishing hole isn't Canadian... was just looking for shops other than the obvious that might have some original or unique products from smaller or different manufacturers.
--Lately have noticed Japan is getting more hungry to distribute in Canada. In the past their min volume requirements and unwillingness to make custom gear put them off limits to most small stores.
--Just noticed recently... silverhorde...USA based company that imports some of their hoochie skirts from, I think yamahsita of japan then adds a bit of their own colours to some of them... not currently available in Canada but someone here may get or have something similar.

--For sure I usually check with the above mentioned stores when price checking or looking for items not found in local shop... although we don't really have a local shop.  I did find and purchase invisaswivel's from Cabela's Canada... same price as USA suggested retail and only shop I could find them at.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:07:02 PM by skaha »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »

--From Centerpinangling.... I bought raven micro swivels and yarn flies... good service and this is the type of specialty sites I am always looking for as they have some house brand stuff that they obviously repackage at good price as well as some name brand gear that I have not seen in stores.
--I actually e-mailed them with some questions on the type of line they use, they gave me a detailed answer with no expectaton of purchase.

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »

Just noticed recently... silverhorde...USA based company that imports some of their hoochie skirts from, I think yahsita of japan then adds a bit of their own colours to some of them... not currently available in Canada but someone here may get or have something similar.

That's Yamashita.

FYI-Silverhorde is an old Washington state company now distributed by Redl Sports and widely available in BC tackle shops.

Where do you shop anyway?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »

--Sorry, I'm just a country bumpkin.... I'm not looking to buy gear supplied by Redl and widely available.. nor prepackaged  Yamashita hoochies.
--I am looking for companies like silverhorde.. established 1948 who although they distribute they do still manufacture or have made specialty items... Distributors sometimes supply jobbers or smaller manufacturers with generic items like Yamashita micro hoochies which these manufacturers then add colour or other materials.... much like custom fly tiers who create something unique of their own.
-- kokaneemart carries several manufacturers who do not distribute in Canada... like fishwithgary kokanee dodger system

--When guiding, fishing tournaments or supplying specialty fishing stores one wants to provide not only unique products but ones that work.
--Much like "fishing reports" some feel they do not want to reveal their super secret supplier thus much like a fishing report when one posts a picture there is much speculation by Experts on where exactly the materials or ideas came from.

--I fish for kokanee targeting 3-5 lb range thus often use scaled down salmon gear such as 1 1/2" UV micro hoochie behind mini dodger or flasher
--I recently noticed the lure... not the company silverhorde new Tailwagger Hoockie Spoon.... I have been using a similar rig... scaled down version of a Crocodile style lure... old crock by Compleat angler with either a tied fly or minihoochie trailer recently have been using an invisaswivel as found the larger metal swivels to be to heavy and the metal micro swivels pulled through.
--Thundermist lures Ontario uses a similar concept with their new Python darter and  original Viper spoons.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »

An option is    http://www.nilecreekflyshop.com/     Not exactly on-line shopping but local and with a selection of fly fishing gear you won't see elsewhere.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »

An option is    http://www.nilecreekflyshop.com/     Not exactly on-line shopping but local and with a selection of fly fishing gear you won't see elsewhere.
--for sure interesting gear, like the double tube fly
--local shops always take the ordinary and turn it into extraordinary with a personal touch, change of hook, eye or colour to suite local conditions... often get ideas that may work in other areas.

--Played with a Beulah 3wt for a while.. fun rod with custom look.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:39:32 PM by skaha »

Dogbreath

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »

--I am looking for companies like silverhorde.. established 1948 who although they distribute they do still manufacture or have made specialty items...
Siverhorde isn't Canadian either as I pointed out to you in my earlier response-but if you're willing to look stateside there are hundreds of companies to consider.

For instance Mack's has all kinds of gimmicky freshwater stuff some of which is effective.