Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vancouver fishing spots  (Read 3998 times)

fishing with jack

vancouver fishing spots
« on: September 25, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »

hi everyone

my son and i started fishing this summer. he is five and loves it. he caught two small mouth bass on salt spring in august and is hooked. So far we have been to Rice Lake a couple of times and have had no luck (since finding this site it appears to have been fished out). As i know pretty much nothing about fishing but would like to continue our new found hobby is there any other lakes in/around Vancouver that we should try?

thanks for the help.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: vancouver fishing spots
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 09:23:04 PM »

Welcome to the forum Jack. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the personal profiles thread.

Anyways, onto the fishing... Put and take lakes around the Great Vancouver areas are stocked a couple of times per year. Because they are so closed to the city, it's not unusual to see abundance of fish drops to none some time after stocking. Your best bet is to check the stocking website or contact Fraser Valley Salmon Hatchery for stocking information.

Other lakes you may like to consider include:

Buntzen Lake and Sasamat Lake in Port Moody.
Mill Lake in Abbotsford.
Whonnock Lake near Mission.

fishing with jack

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 09:25:34 PM »

thanks for the help

honestly the kind of fish that we would like to target is anyone that we can catch ;D
so far our lake fishing for trout has been less than successful. Is this a good time of year for trout or should we consider looking for salmon in the streams? And if so, where might I find some basic information on the subject or a good tackle shop in the city?

the quest continues

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 09:31:04 PM »

Generally this time of the year most people are targeting salmon as they can be very abundant in some rivers.

If you browse through the article archives, you'll find numerous articles on fishing for salmon in local rivers etc. Leave the trout fishing until next spring, that's usually when fisheries stock the lakes.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 10:18:17 PM »

Here are some suggestions around Vancouver: Trout Lake, Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Como Lake,and Lafarge Lake.

fishing with jack

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 10:57:30 PM »

thanks again

I found the fishwizard site and it looks like the hatchery usually stocks some the local lakes again in the fall. So we'll keep our eye on it.

I also read through some of your archives. Great information. However, the salmon fishing appears to be maybe a little over my boy's head as some of the photos of the fish appear to be as big as him. ;D Lots to look forward to. :)

ps I tried to post his photo with his st. Mary's Lake bass but with no luck

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 12:05:43 AM »

Yes, the chum can be hard to handle for him, maybe the odd coho jack by barfishing around the Fraser.

Send the photos to me and I'll post them for you. :)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 07:52:03 AM »

welcome fwj:

I used to fish Burnaby Lake and Deer Lake when I was a kid.
Just use a worm under a float and caught the occasional rainbow.  Usually though, caught brown bullheads, northern pikeminnow, and some lunker carp.  Your kid should get pretty excited watching the float bob up and down. 

Both these lakes have easy access from the parking lots although Deer Lake has more distractions for kids like a playground and a beach if your kid gets bored with fishing.

"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.