Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vancouver bc  (Read 4279 times)

jacklam999

vancouver bc
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

Dear everybody, Im new for salmon fishing, I have been tried in the capilano river last 5 times, but nothing happen.And I know lower mainland(richmond) is close for pink salmon (also local lake is not stocked). I live in vancouver bc (near langara 49th) . Does anyone know where can i go for having a  bigger chance to catch salmon? Also what setting and bait would be good?

Thank you

koifish

Re: vancouver bc
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »

All fraser river tidal and non tidal is closed to all salmon fishing so that's cut out
So  vancouver hmm maybe try ambleside pier I never been tere or know the regulations for there so you must check your self
I know an amazing spot where to catch cohos and jack springs found it last year when fishing for chums it's some where at vedder I can't tell my secret spot lol I was fishing for chums non stop actions and caught a chrome bar coho and jack spring

jacklam999

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »

vedder is so far :'(

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »

Get a few friends and charter a boat to fish the salt.  It is hot right now.  Fill your freezers and maybe have some time to set some crab traps at the same time.  Done.

If not, drive around, investigate, put in the time locally on the beaches in the chuck. 

Or drive toward the masses and join the Fraser Valley tributary fisheries.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »

So, five trips out, no fish. Fuel, snacks, lost/worn gear not to mention time wasted, a modest cost estimate at $10 a trip is reasonable, I think. Call it $50. May I suggest, before you fish again and throw more good money after bad, consider taking a course from one of the local tackle shops, and learn how & where to fish for salmon properly. No disrespect intended.

I am an urban fisherman too, without anyone to show me the ropes, so I fished with moderate to poor success with the fishing skillset I brought with me as a kid growing up on the praries. This year I spent $50 to take a 3 hour salmon / river fishing course at my fave tackle shop and walked away very confident in terms of knowing when, where and how to catch salmon and steelhead. I already knew a lot, but not nearly enough. And I must admit being able to ask all my stupid questions to someone who was actually willing to share their fishing secrets with me just really gave me a lot confidence. It is said that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman, and I believe it. Now that I know how the 10% gear up, where they go and what waters to look for.... all I need is the time to go fishing! Lol!

Good luck!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

notracy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »

ey King which and where did you take that course?? I have ben looking for such a course out here in the valley but all i find are fly fihing courses for $110.00 and way upwards. The course you took sounds ideal for me to expand my knowledge and experience.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »

sea-run and pacific angler both have them.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »

First Light in Burnaby does an awesome job with his clinics...

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »

ey King which and where did you take that course??

First Light. The first and only tackle shop in town that doesn't make me feel like a complete dumbass when I ask a question.
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »

First Light is hands down my favorite tackle shop, and it's because of the owner, Steven. Not only is he helpful and knowlwdgeable, but he is totally unassuming and without ego. He knows his stuff and he is more than happy to share it.

I took his course last year, I was the only person signed up and he still conducted it, after shop hours.
2 days After that class I caught my first big salmon.

It was the best $60 I've spent on fishing because it actually helped me catch the fish!  ;D :P

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »

Did you catch it or steal it from a seagull?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

Did you catch it or steal it from a seagull?
I was just waiting for the chrome fish police to show up. I just wasn't sure if it would be the nice ones, or the sarcastic ones. Unfortunately, it was the latter...

Nice fish, Hamid.  I, like many others, can recall the first salmon I caught, and I was as proud of my catch as you are. It's a nice feeling to have worked hard to reach your goal and then to accomplish it. I hope you catch many others this year too.     

Pin-nook

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »

First Light is hands down my favorite tackle shop, and it's because of the owner, Steven. Not only is he helpful and knowlwdgeable, but he is totally unassuming and without ego. He knows his stuff and he is more than happy to share it.

I took his course last year, I was the only person signed up and he still conducted it, after shop hours.
2 days After that class I caught my first big salmon.

It was the best $60 I've spent on fishing because it actually helped me catch the fish!  ;D :P

First off...Good for you HamidSeshardri for taking the time to get some pointers and congrats on your first big salmon!  It all comes with experience as it's been said so many times on here and with experience you will realize that a fish like that although edible maybe not be the best quality to retain. 

Fishing is something we do to relax(for the most part...) but catching fish is a bonus, you just give your self a better chance of success when you have experience. Even if someone were to put you in a spot where there's fish schooled up or cruising by doesn't mean you're going to hook one. Experience comes from trial and error and the more you go out the more you get to know how to approach fishing situations.

For those that got into river fishing just because it seemed so easy catching sockeye bottom bouncing had no idea that it's not really fishing and that it's not effective on other rivers. Do the research go out and watch, people are more inclined to help you if you have some knowledge of what you are doing.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Congrats on the fish.  Once you catch a few more and have some fresher ones in the freezer, you won't want to take theses ones home with you. Bring a camera with you so you can take a picture and release them afterwards. 

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

Nice fish.  ;D 
I mean for the first salmon in your life  Not bad. It is at least a big one. Congrats.  :)
Just go earlier in the season and stay at lower river and you will catch the chrome ones.  ;)