Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Won a Tournament!  (Read 1789 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Won a Tournament!
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:38:30 PM »

Roche Lake this past weekend.

21.75"

Leaderboard as of Saturday... A few more fish were caught, including this 4.3lb pig.

My fish held up as the big fish`o`the weekend despite being outweighed by over a pound. 

The tourney was judged by length.

I think one of the keys was trolling well into my backing.  I am a poor caster and slapping the water around these spooky fish was just not working.  I put a leech on, let out a LOT of line and varied speed, patterns, structure etc...

The fish were not actively feeding.  Gut checks of the little guys I caught revealed emptiness.  The bonked fish that were gutted had NOTHING in them.  No scuds, diatoms or anything else.

One fish (the big one pictured above was the only fish with stuff in its guts.  Little snail like things...that was it.  I was happy to get into a half dozen fish this weekend.

As the leaderboard showed, it was slim pickins...Like I said though, a few more fish were caught, but the good folks had the sense to throw them back if they were not going to alter the standings.

I took home a cool trophy, a motomaster eliminator and few other odds and ends as the winner.  I am looking forward to establishing a dynasty here.

Not bad for someone who started fly fishing in May this year!

David_R

Re: Won a Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »

Good job there. Looks like a nice day on the water as well!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

Roche Lake this past weekend.

21.75"

Leaderboard as of Saturday... A few more fish were caught, including this 4.3lb pig.

My fish held up as the big fish`o`the weekend despite being outweighed by over a pound. 

The tourney was judged by length.

I think one of the keys was trolling well into my backing.  I am a poor caster and slapping the water around these spooky fish was just not working.  I put a leech on, let out a LOT of line and varied speed, patterns, structure etc...

The fish were not actively feeding.  Gut checks of the little guys I caught revealed emptiness.  The bonked fish that were gutted had NOTHING in them.  No scuds, diatoms or anything else.

One fish (the big one pictured above was the only fish with stuff in its guts.  Little snail like things...that was it.  I was happy to get into a half dozen fish this weekend.

As the leaderboard showed, it was slim pickins...Like I said though, a few more fish were caught, but the good folks had the sense to throw them back if they were not going to alter the standings.

I took home a cool trophy, a motomaster eliminator and few other odds and ends as the winner.  I am looking forward to establishing a dynasty here.

Not bad for someone who started fly fishing in May this year!

shhh...the goddess has blessed you....don' be thinkin' it was all you...the goddess can be very unforgiving.

mojo knows all about the goddess
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I have been skunked plenty o`times.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »

What kind of sausage did you catch it with :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

Landjaeger....

but most fish were caught on leech patterns.