Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To the guys shouting "Foul hook!"  (Read 7168 times)

andrew5

Re: To the guys shouting "Foul hook!"
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

Agreed. If you enjoy sport fishing you need to make sure your overall actions in the grand scheme are doing more good than harm (PSF donations, river clean ups etc)!

Nitroholic

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »

HOWEVER, I do not know the legitimate rule as I'm too lazy to look it up and there's so many Pinks that you're better off just keeping the ones in the mouth.

That's the spirit  ::)

Mayor McSkunk

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

I woulda just cut there line !

Shouldn't you give them a chance to reel in the fish and properly release it rather than have a fish swimming around with a lure in their tail?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »

I woulda just cut there line !

Lol, yeah, I hope you can swim.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 09:08:03 PM »

On the Shuswap river they go by the rule "If its hooked in the head it's legal". So eye, chin etc.. Good to go. Was also what the Conservation Officers would enforce there.

HOWEVER, I do not know the legitimate rule as I'm too lazy to look it up and there's so many Pinks that you're better off just keeping the ones in the mouth.

Who are "they"? Are you saying all shuswap fishermen are flossers?

TNAngler

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »

i stick right to the rules for two reasons: 1: you never have a guilty concience, and I have bad enough luck that i don't need to be pissing off the fish gods and 2: there's a slippery slope effect to consider...

I have wondered though that if a fish is hooked in the eye, it's technically a foul hook, and therefore not eligible to be kept, but that has to make its chances of surviving to spawn go way down. would it be more ethical to keep it? I guess it's not exactly goignto waste, as the fish does remain in the food chain of the river ecosystem.

Interested in hearing others' thoughts.

I guess it depends.  Fish don't need eyes to spawn.  Heck, if you go up to the spawning beds, some of them you would swear are zombie fish by the time they actually spawn.  Is losing one eye going to make it more difficult for them to get to the spawning bed?  Perhaps.  It would be harder for them to spy a bear or bird trying to eat it for sure but this ain't Alaska with bears waiting in hordes like fisherman during a sockeye opening.

If you are going to keep one anyways, personally I would prefer you keep that one and hopefully any officer that checks will understand and congratulate you rather than ticket you but who knows.

MoeJKU

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »

I've been known to "help" them land their fouled fish..............then promptly release their fish LoL
That just made my day, I have done that two same if its wild ill gladly help them get it in ask if they want a picture quickly if no them back it goes.
I love angler enforcement on the river.  I have seen some good stuff done by anglers like what is explained that keeps my faith in fisherman. Also its good for education purposes as well.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »

Who are "they"? Are you saying all shuswap fishermen are flossers?
Depends where you go. Off the bridge in Enderby? Yeup. A lot of the pools heading up to mable lake? You'll find them. DFO stops by the bridge a lot, usually with some dead animal in the truck. Last time I saw was a bear.