Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bar fishing steelhead  (Read 2981 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
bar fishing steelhead
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:40:17 PM »

In another post the topic of bar fishing the canal came up, I have always wondered if steelhead could be caught this way, personally I have caught steelhead while bar fishing the lower Fraser for coho, and I recently read a book on steelheading  by a fellow named Stan Fargerstrom where he talks of how they bar fish or go "plunking" for steelhead on the Columbia river and other rivers across the border. Does anyone have any experiences or insights on bar fishing the canal?

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: bar fishing steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »

Im sure with roe,shrimp, spin glow, with a 2oz piramid weight it would work well. I may try my self.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 05:06:07 PM »

spin n glow with roe will work fine.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 05:43:34 PM »

This is how i started steelheading a long time ago ,i have seen many steelhead caught in the canal using a pyramid weight and loonie size spin n glow tipped off with a little roe.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »

I know a guy that bar fishes the canal with the 5 thru 7 inch rapalas..... and he catches fish, a fair number of em too boot.

Toprod

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:14:31 PM »

Barfishing the Fraser below the mouth of the Harrison and Vedder can be productive plunking spin n glows, with either chrome/red top or peach being the preferred colours. The first two hours after high tide or the last few hours before dark are generally the best times to fish.