Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about grandfathers fly rod  (Read 5903 times)

Shawn6o4

Question about grandfathers fly rod
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »

Well its been a good 8 or 9 years this rod has been sitting in my garage, thought I'd see if anyone has any info about the rod or anything.

The rod is a Garcia conOLON 8237-A 8' DRY fly action. Aftma #6 & 7

I'm not a fly guy but my grandpa was, I have all his flys still and kinda wanted to try it out.

So my question is what sort of reel would I pair up with this rod? Or should I just get a new rod?

Its a little scuffed but seems in good condition still and all the guieds are fine not bent or anything.

Thanks for any help

Shawn

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:59:42 PM by Shawn6o4 »

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Question about grandfathers fly rod
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

- I you won't get upset if you break it I would just go out and fish with it.
- A 6 wt dry line is a common outfit so if you do end up breaking the rod you will still be able to use the reel, backng and line.

- I you find it does not cast to your liking then troll with a sinking line... again you can stay with a 6 wt sinking line so it can be used on another rod.

--Generally the rod will no usually cast like a modern faster action rod and there will be some hinging at the metal ferral... be sure to clean the connection and take it apart after use or it may fuse together. Some used wax on the connection.. do not use oil.

--If you are concurned you may break it... I'd put it on the wall maybe even look around at garage sales for a reel of same age to add to the decoration.

--I am sure your grandfather would be please this rod inspired you to re-visit the sport.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »

It looks to be a graphite rod from a long time ago.
It might perform okay, or the cork could disintegrate and the guides could fall off if you try casting it.
Abu rated these rods by number of stars above the handle with 5 stars being highest and 2 stars being lowest. Their higher end rods had no stars.
Yours looks like 3 stars, so lower end.
Dry fly rod probably means it has a slower action, though that is very subjective. Dry fly rods are typically rated for shorter casts so it a lighter line may load it well if you are fishing further than 30 feet.
Unless it has sentimental value I would probably just go with something more modern.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »

Its not important to me or anything, was just curious if it would be a big difference to a modern one since I would just be starting, I'll see if a friend has a fly reel I could try casting with, I only have spinning rods & reels

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

If you want to clean it up a little try using a magic eraser on the entire rod and cork. My buddy does this to his roe rod once a year and it cleans up like new

Wish I had a grandfather to pass down super old gear to me. unfortunately im the first in our family to buy things of quality in the hopes I can pass it on to my grandkids  :D

looks like a cool little rod, if you look around on Ebay you could find a nice cheap old classic reel to stick on it as well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »

this appears to be a glass rod:

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182981/Garcia%20Conolon

there are also some comments and info here:
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5876

three stars refers both the fittings and finish plus the blank. comments are it may be based on a Russ Peak design - Peak was considered the master of glass.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:08:55 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:49:10 AM »

Well did a little more digging as people mentioned pairing with an older reel, found 2 older tackle boxes with 2 old reels, one of them looks similar to some new model reels and the other not so much lol. I will post them on here when I'm off work in a few hours.

Thanks for the info and help with the backround of this rod, much apreaciated.

Shawn

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »

The rod is a Garcia conOLON 8237-A 8' DRY fly action. Aftma #6 & 7.
So my question is what sort of reel would I pair up with this rod?

There is only one reel to pair this rod with...actually two:

The above are mine and they are not for sale, but if you are persistent and with some luck, you might find a good one on eBay for under 50$.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:15:08 PM by milo »

Shawn6o4

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »

Those looks sweet milo! I didn't get a chance to post mine up but I will when I can

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »

I can't say much about your grandpa's fly rod, but I use a one piece Abu Garcia Conolon baitcasting rod for my Ambassadeur reel. Abu Garcia products really last a long time, and my Conolon rod purchased back in 1995 still looks brand new.