Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying Roe Bags  (Read 11821 times)

TtotheE

Re: Tying Roe Bags
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 02:28:29 PM »

Use something like a perforated grill plate such as:
http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/cr_pgp-1616

Basically something with holes in it, enough for single eggs to pass through. Press gently your roe and "smear" the skein over the plate and you'll have single eggs dropping out of the bottom.  Very fresh roe is quite soft and may pop.  This is where water hardening will come in handy.

They separate the single eggs when preparing roe for sushi like this.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 02:30:44 PM »

For water hardened singles, you can purchase them at Berry's Bait and Tackle, or collect them on the river bank after other fishermen discard their roe. Best not to kill a riped salmon as the meat has no use to you.

These sacs are tied with eggs that were separated from roe skeins. The skeins were not cured, instead the eggs were salted after separation. I kept them in jars until I want to tie some up.

You can also use chunks of roe for the sacs as well. The presentation wouldn't be as nice, but it does the job when fishing is hot.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 02:31:11 PM »

To water harden eggs, just soak them in water from a natural source (river or rain water works fine).  The end result is the egg shell gets clearer and much stronger.  A water hardened egg will be almost impossible to pop if squeezed between your fingers hence it is much more durable.   Remember to color them up AFTER hardening.

I killed a chum and picked up some spring roe yesterday and all the handling of the skeins (drying, cutting up, etc) prior to curing left me with 1/3 of a cup of singles so those will get bagged and the rest was procured.  While the pro cure soaked in I put out a bucket out to catch rain water and now I will fininsh the singles today.

Oliver

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 02:51:22 PM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:34:09 AM by LimitKiller »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 02:53:27 PM »

You can always add scent after tying up the roe bags.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »

LK you are right...minimal scent when fishing bags. Smelly jelly can be added afterward or your fav scent, or use small bags(2,3, or 4 singles) with roe.
Roe is the real thing though & will outfish bags almost all of the time, so I would not waste good roe on bags. Use otherwise useless singles.

Where you get your singles is a tough call, the good thing is one female should do for at least a year.....I have some whitey singles that are 5 years old & still look great.

Oliver

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 03:42:44 PM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:33:43 AM by LimitKiller »

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 05:03:48 PM »

Excellent replies!! One thing I do is to add a small piece of orange or red foam ball into the eggsack to make it more buoyant as single eggs are pretty dense and need to be lifted slightly.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »

its all depends on they style of fishing.  spilt shot, i just leave it as is. if i fish with pencil lead i like to use a piece of foam to lift the bag up a bit.  Its all personal thing.  goodluck fishing

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 06:49:10 PM »

1. get singles from fish..
 2.soak them in a bucket of river water until they are bouncy.
3.drain out the water to another bucket, mix it wil sea salt or brining salt until the salt no longer disslove.
4.pour singles back in the solution until they harden again ( takes about 3-4 hours)
 5. then you can store them in the fridge with enough water cover teh eggs.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 06:52:26 PM by Steelhead King »

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 11:28:12 PM »

I have to agree with what Rodney said about buying  single eggs at Berry's Bait. You can buy them in one-half pound or one pound containers and they are in excellent shape. I think it costs $8 per pound. It is really sad to kill a ripe fish just for the singles. The fish is so far gone that it's no good for consumption and is usually tossed into the bush after the eggs are squeezed out. There is also a chance that you may not cure the eggs properly and end up wasting not only the fish but the single eggs as well.
So it's worth it to spend eight bucks instead of driving out to a river and spending the day trying to catch a ripe chum doe. Just think how many chum bucks you might need to go through to catch a chum doe. It's not a pleasant sight. I'd rather use wool, blades or pink worms.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 01:23:35 PM »

When I fished for salmon as a kid on the Salmon River in Idaho, we tied on a gob eggs with red cotton thread:  wrap the gob around your hook, take a couple of wraps around the shank with the thread, loop the thread around the gob of eggs a few times, wrap it a couple of more times around the shank of the hook, and then break it (the thread) off.