Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying Roe Bags  (Read 11820 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Tying Roe Bags
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »

Alright...my roe is sitting in Borax as I type this...question is..now what?

Do I put them in thos elittle mesh bags I have seen people with?How do I tie them to my line? I am confused. Help? Links? pics?

thanks dudes
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Tying Roe Bags
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:42:47 PM »

http://www.steelheader.net/bait/bait_bags.htm

I use a spawnee (available at most tackle shops) to tie my roe bags. Tie off using Magic Thread. To use simply insert your hook through the mesh just below the knot.

Oliver

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 07:50:59 PM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:34:36 AM by LimitKiller »

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:45:51 PM »

thanks guys

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 10:09:53 PM »

LimitKiller's got it right. For Steelhead my favorite is 5 white spring loose berries pro-cured in hot lava orange and wrapped in the hot pink squares. I use spider thread and trim off to just a nub above tyhe thread. I use 8#Maxima at first light with a size four Eagle Claw. I'll switch to 6# Maxima once we get good light. ~7:30am. Ugly water gets 10# and a small piece of hot pink wool added fished right along the first seam closest to shore. I freeze 25 roe sacks in a zipbag for day trips. I find that if I throw 25 bags in a day it's pretty bad and I'm whipped. Useually 25 lasts me the weekend but I only fish first light to 9:30am the latest. I simply pierce the roe bag above the thread thru the mesh and let it hang ot the bend. Between my roe sacks and pink worms I use nothing else and, without bragging, I get a lot of Steelhead.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:52:58 PM »

this magic thread...you don't need to tie it? it just sticks itself or something?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 10:54:32 PM »

Spider thread. Yes, very elastic, just stretch and wrap around the roe bag 6 or 7 times and break off.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 11:48:54 PM »

for roe bag, you should use "water harden single eggs" go to any tackle store, get a tub for like 8-10 bucks.. you can tie hundreds of bags...  As for spider thread, i think they are expensive... just use something call mono thread that you find at a sewing shop its cheap, like 2 bucks for a 1000 yard spool. Just wrap the bag couple times at the top then whip finish it off, its super easy and fast to do.  goodluck fishing

Oliver

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 06:30:24 AM »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:35:15 AM by LimitKiller »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 06:52:24 AM »

I use an 4lb trilene to tie my roe bags.  I cut off 4 inches or so and make a loop that has the loose end wrapped thru it 3 times.  I gather  up the ends, put the bag thru the loop and sinch it down, I then put 2 more half hitches and trim tag ends...very quick and easy. I like chartrues mesh for coho.

I use plain river water or rain water to water harden my eggs.  You can not water harden after procuring in my experience...so harden up the loose eggs first.  Unharden eggs pop too easily IMHO were as water hardend eggs will stand up to a beating or even a little pecker fish so obviously the water hardened ones last longer.

PS - I have never heard of, nor seen hot lava orange procure...different brand maybe, if so which one?!?  Where did you get it?  Walmart and the local shop have red and pink dyes only.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 07:23:37 AM »

How do you water harden roe eggs, guys?

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 08:34:52 AM »

1. Do not use good roe for bags, use singles.
2. Harden them by submerging them in salted water. They will expand, harden & soak up most of the water. When they are hardened they are super easy to tie.
3. Colour 'em if you like but not needed.
4. Melnak makes superior quality mesh & bag kit. It comes in all colours & sizes.
5. Tie your bags with spiderwire if you like but for fast, clean, tight bags simply melt the mesh with a candle(far better looking product).
6. Borax after you bags are done or not at all, thay can be kept in the salt solution for up to six years.

Good Luck!

Oliver

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 09:54:43 AM »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:35:32 AM by LimitKiller »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 11:29:27 AM »

From my experience water hardened eggs do not milk out.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »

Do not cut up good roe or try to separate eggs. Messy, hard work. Try to sacrifice a later run dog, coho, or whitey for singles.....they might not be in the best of shape but their singles will. Many people on the Vedder just throw out singles. I've often found piles of this 'Gold' on the river.

Tip: Use small bags with roe on same hook, when the roe wears away & turns to white skein it will enhance that plain bag & you can cast for another 10 mins before having to bait up again.