Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho at the mouth of the vedder on a fly  (Read 11769 times)

daveg

Re:coho at the mouth of the vedder on a fly
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:56:07 PM »

oh sorry yeah i forgot....catch any pinks lately?

DocSpratley

• Don't be a Potsy!
    • FishJunkie.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 11:57:08 PM »

Yeah, got a big juicy pink on my Jungle cock fly.
Check out the new beek of the week pic!

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 05:45:37 AM »

I agree with Daveg . Also when i,m not having much luck I add a small splitshot or a weighted fly toget in the zone this usually improves my luck.

P.S     I fished the past 5 seasons with a 7 weight  with little problems
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Jimmy

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 07:24:50 AM »

Thanks, I was only looking for information not trying to spark a debate, or argument.

I look forward to trying this fishery as I will not be attending the upper river gong show this year.

Doc you got a pm......

Redeye

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 07:29:25 AM »

Isn't that if you were to fish the same depth as the fish's mouth?  If you were to fish the water column just above the fish then you wouldn't have that scenario.  The higher your presentation is from the fish the more likely more fish will see it. (The cone theory for a fish's vision).

I've always heard on the hotlines to use a long leader,  split shot and rolled muddlers on a dry line.

Just because a sink tip is used... it does not mean that it is fishing the exact depth of the fish and all people using the sink tips are flossing the fish?  If that was the case, I'll bet that you couldn't buy any sink tip line because they would be all sold off the shelves.  (Could you imagine a line that would automatically go to the fish's mouth level?)  Could it be possible that they are also fishing the column just above the fish?  What would be the difference between using a float line, with long leader, with split shot vs. using a sink tip line???

daveg

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 02:03:11 PM »

Firstly we are not talking about fish specifically we are talking about Coho.

Secondly it depends on the kind of water you are fishing not if you are fishing a sink tip.

Thirdly you can do the math and figure out the sinking rate of a type 6 vs a small shot on your line, I don't have time.

Lastly I don't fish fast water for coho and I also don't use shot on my line.  How long have you been hooking Coho on a swung fly and do you get them on dries too?

daveg

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 02:24:22 PM »

I catch sturgeon on green wool.

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 02:55:04 PM »

every one knows green wool works the best for all kinds of fish  ::)

The reason you dont see sink tips flying off the shelves at tackle shops is becuase all these internet 'fishermen' couldnt be botherd with the trial and error that comes along with learning what kind of tips work in different situations sure your tip could be to light and you could be way aboe the fish but it could also be to heavy and you can snag them in the arse all day too they fight harder that way  ::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 02:59:17 PM by Gutslinger »

Redeye

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2004, 02:57:50 PM »

Firstly we are not talking about fish specifically we are talking about Coho.

Secondly it depends on the kind of water you are fishing not if you are fishing a sink tip.

Thirdly you can do the math and figure out the sinking rate of a type 6 vs a small shot on your line, I don't have time.

Lastly I don't fish fast water for coho and I also don't use shot on my line.  How long have you been hooking Coho on a swung fly and do you get them on dries too?

Firstly I know we are talking about coho specifically at the mouth of the vedder.

Secondly I agree it all depends on the type of water condition.

Thirdly my point is that in your post you make it seem like all people who use a sink tip are flossing the fish.  My point is that just because a sink tip is used it does not mean that we are flossing the fish.

To answer your question about how long I've been chucking flies for Coho...it's been about 12 years since I chucked my first fly for a coho.  I've never gotten them on a dry fly, but I have on my dry line before.

daveg

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 05:11:36 PM »

Glad we agree on a couple of things.  

Perhaps I need to be more clear.  I am not slamming sink tips specifically.  I am simply questioning the application of use under certain circumstances.  Also I wasn't asking how long you have been fly fishing for Coho as that is a moot point.  I was asking how long have you been getting them on a swung fly.

DocSpratley

• Don't be a Potsy!
    • FishJunkie.com
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 01:31:55 AM »

Tee Hee...moot point.
If your name was Ed, it woul be retard-ED  ;)