Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Fishing  (Read 11829 times)

Canadian Anglerz

Bass Fishing
« on: February 17, 2024, 05:38:38 PM »

Hi All,

Originally from Ontario, fished for a lot of Bass.

Looking for some good Bass fishing spots and making sure I understand the Regs, the one lake I read there wasn't a size min/max and a 20 a day quota, would this be true? very different than the other places I have lived.

Thanks,

Jelly_

Re: Bass Fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 05:57:22 PM »

You are allowed to retain 20 bass per day excluding Mill Lake. If you wish to retain bass from Mill lake, then the quota is 4

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 06:53:17 PM »

Bass are considered an invasive species that will predate on native species and are considered undesirable so that's why the daily quota is so high. Other programs are in place (ie disturbing nesting areas) to reduce bass numbers.

Do you live in the Lower Mainland? The Okanagan and the Island probably have better bass opportunities than here.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chief

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 07:04:14 PM »

Never fished for bass before until moving to the Island 5 years ago. Have fished Quennel Lake near Nanaimo spring and summer with good success fly fishing only  with several fish 20 inches + . Very few anglers out on a typical day in very nice surroundings. Highly recommended !

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 09:04:16 PM »

Why fish for an ugly bass when we have steelhead,cuthroat,bull trout,rainbow trout, five species of salmon and sturgeon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:10:59 PM by Wiseguy »

Jelly_

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 09:49:23 PM »

Why fish for an ugly bass when we have steelhead,cuthroat,bull trout,rainbow trout, five species of salmon and sturgeon.
Nothing wrong with fishing for bass  :) I quite enjoy fishing for bass since they're pretty aggressive and they fight hard.
By the way, has anyone here ever eaten a largemouth bass? If so how was it?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 10:32:06 PM »

Nothing wrong with fishing for bass  :) I quite enjoy fishing for bass since they're pretty aggressive and they fight hard.
By the way, has anyone here ever eaten a largemouth bass? If so how was it?
I've eaten one pan fried and the meat was a touch sweet. I liked it
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Jelly_

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 10:38:15 PM »

I kinda want to try it out in the future, though im pretty sure some people will give me some backlash  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 10:43:30 PM »

That's just the after taste from the agricultural run-off. ;D

Smallmouth bass are delicious, especially when they are coming from a deep cold lake like Cultus. Can't wait to harvest more in a couple months from now.

Canadian Anglerz

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 07:47:14 AM »

Morning,

Sorry, not sure how to respond directly to the gentlemen who made the one comment below.
I would like to fish for all these species as well as Bass but because I just moved here, I am still learning where to go spend my time.

1. Steelhead - Never fished for them and not set up yet, heard to try the Vedder.
2. Cutthroat, bull trout, rainbow trout - Fished for Rainbow while living in California, not sure where to fish for them here but was told Dewdney Slough.
3. five species of salmon and sturgeon - Never fished for them but on bucket list.

Thanks,

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 10:11:56 AM »

I have eaten LMB once. I caught a pile of them in Duck Lake north of Creston. I like them though others who had some did not. SMBs are better as they don't have as strong a flavor.

Trout fishing nearby in the LML - Rainbow - many lakes are stocked - check where to fish on gofishbc.com. The Skagit River accessible from near Hope has good fishing for rainbows and bulltrout in Summer and early Fall. A number of streams and lakes have cutthroat. All wild trout from streams have to be released. With the exception of the Chilliwack/Vedder system there are few to no hatchery trout available  in streams.

There really aren't that many places with good bass fishing here - Hatzig Lake near Mission, Katzie slough & connected backwaters near the south end of Pitt Lake  and Mill Lake in Abbotsford are the best. Deer Lake in Burnaby is another. Those all have LMB. Cultus is the only spot with SMB, at least currently. I think SMBs will adapt far better to our local waters.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 07:55:53 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 04:27:15 AM »

We have a summer place at cultus lake and I fish for them quite often. Fun fish to catch on the 5WT.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 12:06:07 PM »

I eat one bass caught from Burnaby lake. All my fishing friends though I would die. But^^ it tasted muddy. but better than trout

Phronesis

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 01:31:14 PM »

I eat one bass caught from Burnaby lake. All my fishing friends though I would die. But^^ it tasted muddy. but better than trout
I have tried both LMB from deer lake and SMB from cultus, I personally liked SMB. Stocked trout does not taste good, but Try hatchery trout that has spent some time on the rivers - they taste good...their diet changes the taste a lot

Chum Slayer

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 05:13:07 PM »

There is lots of good bass fishing around the lowermainland, pick any lake, slough, river mouth or creek. The best fisheries however are Mill lake, Albert, Sumas Slough, Cultus, and the Fraser River.