Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crayfish  (Read 11758 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
crayfish
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »

Does anyone know if a minnow trap will work for a crayfish trap? How often do I have to take it in? How do I prevent the trap from drifting in the current?
Someone was here

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: crayfish
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »

I always just searched for crayfish under rocks and used a net to scoop them up.  Minnow trap might work, tie it to tree branch.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

J-Man

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »

I see people trapping Whitepine for crawfish, when I used to scuba there were allot around the 50 foot mark in that lake.  Used to catch them by hand.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »

are there even any places where they are abundant? well enough to eat, im guessing thats why the topic was posted.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »

are there even any places where they are abundant? well enough to eat, im guessing thats why the topic was posted.

They are super abundant in a lot of places.
I always dive for them in the summer and catch them by hand. Dive down and flip rocks for best results.
Tasty little buggers...

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

Jones lake has tons and are easy to catch with a fishing rod !

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »

My crayfish traps are about 18“ square and 6“ high.  The bait is placed in the bottom (fresh local fish guts, heads, skin).  The crays walk up a ramp and fall in then can‘t get out.  I tie it to the neighbor‘s dock and it sits on the rocks below.  When the catch is good I go down and empty a couple of times in a day because if they pile up they can climb out over top of each other.  I bring up the trap and throw back all the little ones, then look under the tails of the rest and throw back any with egg sacs.  A day like that will get me 30 or 40 which is a nice feed.  The bigger ones in my lake are just big enough that the claws are worth eating, but on another lake in the same system they grow bigger - langustinas!
5% Alc./Vol.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

Any one know if the lakes in whistler have crayfish in them?

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »

Wow ty for the craw fish post, I had no clue vancouver had a place to go eat them. Now I dont have to wait untill my next California trip to eat them. I have found lots in the lakes and rivers of vancouver island but enough to start catching.  Catching in the river would be hard since the river would take the bait scent down stream.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »

Wow ty for the craw fish post, I had no clue vancouver had a place to go eat them. Now I dont have to wait untill my next California trip to eat them. I have found lots in the lakes and rivers of vancouver island but enough to start catching.  Catching in the river would be hard since the river would take the bait scent down stream.

Really?
Last year we got over 60 in an hour of swimming on a VI river.
I'm sure traps would do just fine... carry scent way downriver and draw them up.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

Deas slough had lots last time I went there.
Someone was here

bcguy

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »

Jones lake has tons and are easy to catch with a fishing rod !

X2

Drop a prawn trap around the sunken trunks, and youll have a great feed at Jones
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Zackattack

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »

Really?
Last year we got over 60 in an hour of swimming on a VI river.
I'm sure traps would do just fine... carry scent way downriver and draw them up.

Would these crayfish from Deas / lower fraser be safe to eat or could they have a lot of toxins in them being near the toilet bowl end of the fraser?
Always wanted to catch some cray

Schenley

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

Just remember that the daily limit is 25 / person.    And the COs DO issue tickets and seize traps if they catch you with over your daily limit.