Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pink salmon rod set-up question  (Read 11841 times)

noobfisher

pink salmon rod set-up question
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »

Does anyone fish for pink salmon with an ultralight rod?  Is 6 lb line strong enough or would you go with 10 lb line ... any advice or tips appreciated, thanks!

adecadelost

Re: pink salmon rod set-up question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »

6-8lb line is fine for pinks.
A lot of people out there seem to love their heavy duty salmon set ups for pinks but a light spinning rod is fine.
I fish for them on a 5wt fly rod with a 6lb leader with no problems.
Lots more fun on lighter gear.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »

It depends on how you define ultralight. If the rod and reel setup is rated 1 to 4lb test, then my personal opinion is that it would be too light. If it is around 6lb test, then it should be ok although some situations can strain the setup quite a bit. I've used 6lb test setups in the past and I've found that my main line can have quite a bit of abrasion after awhile (in the Tidal Fraser). This could be due to several reasons. The spinning rod's guides are probably not the highest quality so small scratches may have caused this.

Most of the time I use a 4 to 10lb test spinning rod. My spinning reel is spooled with 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen. I find this combination to be quite durable but it doesn't lose the joy in fighting pink salmon at the same time.

Six months to go! :D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »

I'm excited. I've never fished for pinks before. Living so close to the fraser river in vancouver means I can fish close to home as well just casting from shore. Although I'm not sure in the marine drive side near kerr is the best location...I'll just have to drive over to the river road side

adecadelost

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »

Vancook, I live in the same area.  Unfortunately not many salmon move through that area.  You'd be better off heading down to the middle or south arms.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

South Arm definitely has more fish coming through than North Arm, but the fishing can be just as good there especially later in the season. Middle Arm is a branched arm of North Arm... Although all of my fishing at North Arm is done on the Richmond side, I've been told by people who fish around the end of Kerr Road that there are just as many salmon move through that side too.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »

Pinks seemed to heavily favour the South Arm during the last run from what I witnessed.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »

i was fishing the lower fraser for pinks. two years ago and i must have hooked into something big... i fought it best i could/knew how to. the viscous head shakes i will never forget. it turned around and headed back towards the ocean. the drag was screaming... i lost the fish due to a broken spinning rod. this year i am going to use a medium casting rod with a line rating of 8-12lbs. question  i have used maxima chameleon and i love it, no problems. is there any suggestions for a braided line?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

your rod/reel setups fine, dont worry. For pinks i use a 6wt flyrod with 5 pound leader. I rarely get snapped off. Pinks only average from 3-6 pounds so 6 pound lines fine. And your not gonna be casting big weights or heavy spoons so light gears better and on the light gear they give a fight good for their size.
only 4 months left  ;D
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

your rod/reel setups fine, dont worry. For pinks i use a 6wt flyrod with 5 pound leader. I rarely get snapped off. Pinks only average from 3-6 pounds so 6 pound lines fine. And your not gonna be casting big weights or heavy spoons so light gears better and on the light gear they give a fight good for their size.
only 4 months left  ;D
thanks dan! one can always count on your input...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

noobfisher

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

Thanks for all the input and advice!  That means I dont' need to change my set-up ... all I need are a few more spinners next time I'm out shopping!  ;D

azafai

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

South Arm definitely has more fish coming through than North Arm, but the fishing can be just as good there especially later in the season. Middle Arm is a branched arm of North Arm... Although all of my fishing at North Arm is done on the Richmond side, I've been told by people who fish around the end of Kerr Road that there are just as many salmon move through that side too.

isn't middle arm a branch of southern arm?
I think it is based on what I see in google map.
thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:49:49 PM by azafai »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »

No, North arm, which runs through Queensborough Bridge, branches into two smaller arms at YVR - North Arm and Middle Arm.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »

Vancook, I live in the same area.  Unfortunately not many salmon move through that area.  You'd be better off heading down to the middle or south arms.
that's unfortunate to hear. No walking to the river for me. Well the drive to the south arm isn't too far. I'll just have to figure out where to go, some wide sections on the south arm.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »

that's unfortunate to hear. No walking to the river for me. Well the drive to the south arm isn't too far. I'll just have to figure out where to go, some wide sections on the south arm.

I live and work near the North Arm too so it's disappointing to hear. I might head out for some "coffee" breaks during high tide and try out Fraser Shore Park.