Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice needed on boat trailers for a Spratley  (Read 11800 times)

gonefishin

Advice needed on boat trailers for a Spratley
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »

Hi .... I am considering the purchase of a 12' Spratley boat for fly fishing. I'm interested in what other Sprately owners have done in regards to trailering their boats. The dealer said that a lot of folks have purchased utility trailers from Home Depot and used it as a boat trailer as well. That way they get the benefit of having both a boat trailer and a general utility trailer.
 I've looked at the Home Depot utility trailers and not too sure how these could be adapted to accommodate a 12' boat. Home Depot has a utility trailer called a Marathon trailer that is 5' X 10' (not cheap) $1588 and a 4' X 7' for $998. I'm not too sure if I could get a 12' on a 4'X7'. It doesn't appear that the sides or back ramp would be able to accommodate a boat...
This is my first boat trailering experience so not really familiar with what I should be doing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives.? ..Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SNapz

Re: Advice needed on boat trailers for a Spratley
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »

I would take a look at the Karavan Boat trailers. I picked up one for my 12' boat and it works great and was not that expensive from what I remember. I would look for something that doesn't have the really tiny wheels as well. GA Check Point is where I picked up mine from. Usually good service and good prices and I think they usually have them in stock.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

I would take a look at the Karavan Boat trailers. I picked up one for my 12' boat and it works great and was not that expensive from what I remember. I would look for something that doesn't have the really tiny wheels as well. GA Check Point is where I picked up mine from. Usually good service and good prices and I think they usually have them in stock.

That is a VERY good point. I would look on Craigslist at utility trailers. Their are usually lots for sale.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Lumps

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »

Hi .... I am considering the purchase of a 12' Spratley boat for fly fishing. I'm interested in what other Sprately owners have done in regards to trailering their boats. The dealer said that a lot of folks have purchased utility trailers from Home Depot and used it as a boat trailer as well. That way they get the benefit of having both a boat trailer and a general utility trailer.
 I've looked at the Home Depot utility trailers and not too sure how these could be adapted to accommodate a 12' boat. Home Depot has a utility trailer called a Marathon trailer that is 5' X 10' (not cheap) $1588 and a 4' X 7' for $998. I'm not too sure if I could get a 12' on a 4'X7'. It doesn't appear that the sides or back ramp would be able to accommodate a boat...
This is my first boat trailering experience so not really familiar with what I should be doing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives.? ..Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had a trailer made with a rack so I could use the trailer for all my other gear. It works great, can get into the hardest places and if you do get stuck you can move the trailer around with everything in and get your truck free and hook back up.
That's a 12" Spratley it as well.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »

Lumps: great picture and shows the advantage of boat trailer vs utility type.

--for small boat I prefer your rig...secure storeage below for gear rods etc.  In some spots might want to lock trailer on.

--boat trailer type and a lot of the small trailers have boat trailer kits that will hold boat right side up.
--you can put all you gear in the boat but I find then you want a cover etc. to keep what in the boat in there when transport so not really all the much faster unless you are usually fishing a short distance from you home and don't need to pack up.

--I use an old boat rack that was intended to go over a canopy on my utility trailer.. was cheap to buy.

--Get trailer with largest wheels available.. not required for weight but some ground clearance when hauling.

Lumps

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

--Get trailer with largest wheels available.. not required for weight but some ground clearance when hauling.

That's what I did with this one, 15" rims, and put the leafs over the axel for more ground clearance.

gonefishin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »

Lumps.... Very Cool trailer indeed!!!! Just what I was looking for. Did you have the trailer made in BC and can you give us an approximate cost?

Thanks

Lumps

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »

Lumps.... Very Cool trailer indeed!!!! Just what I was looking for. Did you have the trailer made in BC and can you give us an approximate cost?

Thanks

Gonefishin, i live in Port Moody, I have a buddy in Parksville that will make anything you want. It cost 2600. That's cost of material and him making it. The exact same trailer at Express Custom Trailers in Parksville as well would have cost me over 5000. easy.

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »

Lumps... thanks alot for the info. I will keep this in mind when coming up with a decision.

Stillwaters

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »

Any Spratley owners out there been in rougher water?  I have the 10 footer and pretty much stick to stillwaters, but I am wondering how it might handle in a bit of chop.  Any experience?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »

Any Spratley owners out there been in rougher water?  I have the 10 footer and pretty much stick to stillwaters, but I am wondering how it might handle in a bit of chop.  Any experience?

I have been in waters with as much as a 2' chop and not a problem. I also have the 10' and plan on launching it out on the lower fraser for the first time this year for pinks.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »

I picked up a nice trailer for mine cheap I will post pics later.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »

If you have a truck I would go with a roof rack like I did, this way I can take two boats at once
if you want to go with a trailer then get one with the biggest wheels you can ( like others suggested ) as it it a much nicer tow
and you don't have to worry about keeping your speed down too much.

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »

this is the trailer I picked up ...actually I paid a little more and got the one with the larger wheels it is black instead of red as shown on the website.
http://www.gpboats.com/Trailers.htm

Stillwaters

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »

Thanks Bbrons.  Have you ever over loaded the boat? It has a pretty low weight capacity (425 lbs) but I'm convinced it can take more.  With two decent sized guys and gear you're already pushing the limit.