Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone fished a Shimano TLD 15 /20  (Read 11759 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
anyone fished a Shimano TLD 15 /20
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Looking to pick up a second sturgeon reel as I've got a couple friends that want to tag along.  The drag on the Penn only puts out like 15lbs of drag pressure which is pretty weak IMO for a reel spooled with 150lbs.  I usually fish from shore, so with no ability to follow the fish, I want to be able to put the screws a decent fish.  Who here fishes the TLD 15 or 20?  I'm looking at the TLD 15 specifically, but if I ran across a decently-priced TLD 20, I'd just add a bottom shot of 60lbs mono first or something.  How do these reels cast?    The Penn 330GT2 I have does better than expected and I can pretty easily launch the bait maybe a hundred feet or so.

NFM

Re: anyone fished a Shimano TLD 15 /20
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

Never Fished a TLD 15 but do fish a TLD and love it they cast great =) although I have not fished it from shore I dont see it being any different then casting off the stern of my boat. The Avet reel is also a great reel for sturgeon fishing just keep that in mind if you are wanting to upgrade down the road.

vaskerelva

• Born to fish, forced to work
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »

Can the TLD 15/20 cast??? Fish with it here in Norway, in the ocean fore some years now, works superb - but casting ???
Fear no fish

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »

Yeah, casting 8-16oz weights from the bank for surgeon.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

I don't know about casting since I've only ever fished from a boat, but the TLD20 drag will allow you to waterski behind a large dino.
Here's a little one trying to pull me in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiKiF4jNmcE

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

Lever drag reels don't cast as well as star drags but with that much weight and an educated thumb you should be fine, you could always take the grease out of the bearings and use something like Rocket Fuel or Zebco Hot Sauce instead.

TLD 15- a mite light unless you jazz up the drag put in carbon fiber or Smoooth drag washers

TLD 20-everything  you need but again carbon fiber drag washers are the way to go.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

I've read that lever drags start engaging the drag when on free spool when you really tighten up the drag.  Is that what you're refering to? 

The Penn I have casts decently, no difficulty casting it, but the drag doesn't seem to provide much pressure for a reel that size.  I'm new to sturgeon fishing, but the Penn 330 GT2 just didn't seem to be able to do much to slow a 4' sturgeon.  With an 96lbs leader being the weakest link, I want to be able to put the screws on a 3-4' fish and just crank it in to get the bait back out there for its dad.

I've read 15lbs is about all the drag pressure I'll get out of a 330GT2, is the extra drag pressure you get from the TLD 15 or 20 worth it?  What other reasons would you list to go with the Shimano?

Nitroholic

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

I wish they came in a left handed model. Looks like the only reel I can find is the Penn 321  :-\

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »

I've read that lever drags start engaging the drag when on free spool when you really tighten up the drag.  Is that what you're refering to? 

Yes and No-you really have to crimp the drag down to affect freespool but it does happen; I meant the way that lever drags disengage the spool it's not the same as a star.

The first thing I'd do is go to Alan Tani's site he has some info on your model Penn and see if you can't replicate some of his results.

Mike's sells drag washers to upgrade Penns IIRC that would be cheaper than buying a whole new reel.

ColinB

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »

I wish they came in a left handed model. Looks like the only reel I can find is the Penn 321  :-\
Agreed!!

Not wishing to start a left versus right argument again, but I must admit I'm surprised that Shimano haven't manufactured a left hand wind in the TLD range.  There are plenty out there who would buy them.

Noel

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

This is true. I had a TLD 25 set that tight because I was fishing alone and could not chase the fish. I had to sit and fight it out but the fish was big and wanted to go. So what happened with the drag set so tight was it baked my reel. When the fish took its final run the reel seized and would no longer allow line out, in effect NO drag and the fish came damn close to pulling me out of the boat. To stop myself from going over I had to grab the rail on side of my boat with one hand, and straight-lined the rod with my other which snapped my 200 lb leader.

When you hook up with a big boy IMO the TLD won't cut it unless you can chase the fish. Since then I moved up to Shimano Torsa. Alot more money but with big fish I learned not to skimp on equipment.

If your'e setting the drag that tight, its too much, which means you have to chase fish. If you have to sit and fight it out its time to move up in quality. My opinion only, many will disagree I'm sure.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

Sounds like the previous respondent had some issues with high drag settings binding the spool in the frame-myself I busted a frame right off the reel seat that way once.  :o

Matt-talk to the Guy @ Express Reel Service he has the stuff to beef up your drag.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

I ended up with another Penn 330, a GTi this time. that I got for a pretty good deal  I already own a 330GT2, but the only difference I can find is the clicker on the GT2 is more robust than on the GTi (so what, both look beefy enough).  Picked up a Technium, 330Gti loaded with 80lbs Tuff Line for $180 :).  The combo has been barely used I doubt ever even cast or had a fish run fast as far as there is no grease spun off bearing onto the spool.  Still got a dry sticker on the reel foot too.

I'll probably beef up the drag at some point with upgraded drag washers as has been suggested.

Nitroholic

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »

I ended up with another Penn 330, a GTi this time. that I got for a pretty good deal  I already own a 330GT2, but the only difference I can find is the clicker on the GT2 is more robust than on the GTi (so what, both look beefy enough).  Picked up a Technium, 330Gti loaded with 80lbs Tuff Line for $180 :).  The combo has been barely used I doubt ever even cast or had a fish run fast as far as there is no grease spun off bearing onto the spool.  Still got a dry sticker on the reel foot too.

I'll probably beef up the drag at some point with upgraded drag washers as has been suggested.

Now that's a deal  :o

oni_kage

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

I have landed plenty of 4-6 foot sturgeon from shore with a penn 320gt2. Altho I upgraded the drag washers and regularly maintain it. And as far as I know, the penn 320gt2 and 330 put out 20# of drag with carbonex washers.