Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided vs Mono  (Read 11843 times)

doja

Re: Braided vs Mono
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »

The downtown store carries them. It's stored in a glass cabinet. Ask the salesman for the key.

Umm. pretty sure they have it on large spools if you ask.

superstick

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »

braid to mono use a double uni knot wet line well when pulling tight

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »

I don't agree with this statement.  IMO braid (lo-stretch) provide greater sensitivity to feel bites.

If you are attaching the braid to mono of a similar diameter then it is not very hard to do. Use a blood knot to attach the lines.  Tieing instructions can be found here http://www.steelheader.net/knots/blood_knot.htm .
--

--not sure what you're not agreeing with?
--I was talking about lo-stretch mono vs braid. lo-stretch mono is about 12% much less than most mono line expert users claim that it was not the same sensitivity as braid but that higher % of initial hook up resulted in landed fish.

--I use the lo-stretch line but only have one reel spooled with braid so not as familiar with using braid to make a good comparison using my own personal experience.

--I'm assuming using a good quality sensitive rod with these lines to get the benefit of the braid or lo-stretch--

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »

I thought you were referring to braid when you said lo-stretch thanks for clearing that up.  Now I understand the points you are making.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »

I thought you were referring to braid when you said lo-stretch thanks for clearing that up.  Now I understand the points you are making.

--cool, I tried to PM but your mail box was full.
--I fish multiple species and methods so I try to use gear with a good tolerance range but for some situations you just have to go with specialty equipment to get the job done.
--Was driving up from Van on the weekend and  I guess it was the Vedder hwy crossing, people all over the river. You have a situation where the fish are seeing lots of gear so probably change, not using what everyone else uses, and more finesse fishing required thus specialty fishing lines in order.

--Not trying to convince all of you to come to the interior but last week on the Thompson, the area I was fishing I could only see two other fishers and one of them was my fishing partner.