Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided vs Mono  (Read 11840 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Braided vs Mono
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »

With that small of a reel, I'd go #15 lb. mono, max.  If you hook into a chum or large spring, you'll fry your drag and get spooled.  You'll also want to check your manual.  This applies for rods also.  If you use anything other than your line capacity, consider your warranty void.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »

Wow...the 1500 are small.  I would guess 15lb braid would be appropriate based on spool capacity and target species (pinks and coho i assume). 

Thanks Gooey. Actually I was interested in a specific brand that has performed well on your reels.

Yeah it's a little gaffer. Primarily used for cutthroat off the beach and perfect when paired with my noodly spinnng rod, however it has done service on pinks and smaller coho.  

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »

If I am ever using a level wind I have braid on it that goes for float fishing too, 40 or 30 pound moss green braid is a great line to float fish with. The line floats, instant hook sets, and you rarely lose a float

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »

With that small of a reel, I'd go #15 lb. mono, max.  If you hook into a chum or large spring, you'll fry your drag and get spooled.  You'll also want to check your manual.  This applies for rods also.  If you use anything other than your line capacity, consider your warranty void.

O fer sure, usually I only use 6lb mono on it, 8lb for salmon. For salmon it rarley gets used where there's significant current (and big fish); mainly off the beach and sloughs. My question for Gooey was about braided line recommendations, not mono.

doja

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »

If you did a search you'd recently fined most people preferred the power pro for a spinning reel.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »

IMO Suffix Performance braid is the best for spinning reels but I have yet to find it at a local shop.  It is a 6 strand braid instead of 4 so it is actually round so line twist is not a problem and the line is limp which is better for casting with spinning reels.  4 strand braid will work too but the 6 strand stuff is the best.  The Suffix braid is high quality like Tuff Line Xp and Power Pro.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0036973120806a.shtml
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:01:13 PM by Eagleye »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 11:32:07 PM »

Has anybody used Spiderwire ? Do they fray easily ?

Nibbles

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:26 AM »

I prefer braided lines.  2 probelms with it: it digs into the spool if you get a snag and a pain to untangle if you get a birds nest.  Mono usually last me one year but baided last few years.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »

--changing from cheap general purpose mono to braid huge difference.
--specialty mono such as a lo-stretch usually 12% gives sensitivity for jig and reduces stretch if long line bucktailing.
--for experienced fishers lo-stretch should give slightly less bite feel but better hookup % a trade off.
--ultra thin mono, winter fishing reduced icing

-- IGFA standard rated line...mono or braid ensures that the # test on the label is the break strenth of the line.
-- most manufacturers have some IGFA standard line,,important for line class record but also allows the user to know when the line will break... for example Berkley big game IGFA line 20 lb tested broke at 18.6 lbs where as Berkley big game solar collector 20lb broke at 29.3,  Maxima tournament IGFA broke at 18.3 Maxima crystal broke at 22.7, Platypus super100 IGFA 20 lb broke at 19.9 Platypus classic 20 lb at 24.5 Suffix Key lime IGRA 20 lb broke at 21.5 Suffix Siege 20 lb broke at 31.2

--These test results are from  actual breaking strenth tests of 73 lines using dry break test from sportfishing mag.com
--water obsorbsion will change some of these but you get the drift it is difficult to compare lines with no standard measure such as IGFA to ensure you are comparing characteristics of similar line. Similar results using braid one labeled 20 lbs actually broke at 51.6 lbs thus someone comparing this to  a 20 lb line that broke at 21.1 lbs would have a very different oppinion.

--line can be very useful when fine tuning your equipment for specialty situations as will all equipment there are compromises when general purpose line is used.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »

Good luck putting more than 15 # of pressure at the end of any line.  Just take your scale, attach line to it, go back 30 feet and crank down and see how much pressure you can put on it.  Most likely, you'll only get 10 or 11.  So, IMO, it's almost more important to have good abrasion resistance than a huge break strength. 

Stu

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »

Thank you for all the info you guys put out, but it made me even more confused about braided line as I was before.

As I understand the major drawback of braided line is the;
- High visibility
- Requires special knot to bind and hard to attach to mono

Advantages;
- low stretch
- smaller diameter
- lasts longer
- easier to cast in wind?

I got a 9ft 6-15lb rod and I put on my cheap spinning reel from my older 6ft rod.
Currently have a 14lb test line on from last year (when I didn't know about this forum yet and didn't catch anything with it) that feels like just too thick for the relatively small reel, do you think it is an overkill?
I checked A&N and they don't seem to have any braided line ??? , In Can. Tire they have some for around $20
Would you switch for braided in this situation or wait till I buy a better reel?
Also the reel i have now come with 2 drums ( i don't know how it is called, the place where wind up the fishing line)
that makes it easier to switch between different fishing lines. Do the better reels come with that feature or am i pretty much stuck with the line I would put on.

Thank you.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

if one has a rod and reel set up with a line, and wants to change the line... is there an easy or a proper way to do that?

Whether you're changing mono to braid or simply stronger lines...?

I saw an interesting setup by a guide I used this summer.
He is switching lines all the time (every night) - probably between left- and right-hand retrieve for American/Canadian clients.

He epoxied a large bolt through a hole in the top of a plastic pop bottle lid (making sure to leave room around the inside edges to put the lid on)
When he wanted to switch the lines, he chucked up the pop bottle in an cordless drill and spun the line off that way.

I used it on a spinning reel and it worked well. I had to dremel some of the epoxy out to get the lid to fit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:03:20 PM by Easywater »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »

--small spool diameter with fairly stiff line and it will kink up and not cast well. larger diameter spoof for thicker line.
--many reels come with spare spool so you can use same reel in different situations.

--any large arbor reel, old trolling reel from a garage sale will be good enough for spooling off line and changing it. again the advantage of a large arbor is it will not kink up your line as much as if it is tightly wound.

--ensure you dispose of your old line properly... some shops will take old line for recycle..

--abrasion resistance...generally speaking larger diameter is more  abrasion resistant however some lines have built in lubricants that will reduce sandpaper effect. the lines I indicated earlier were also tested for abrasion these are all relative tests as differences in temp, water obsorbsion etc. will cause changes

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

I checked A&N and they don't seem to have any braided line ???

The downtown store carries them. It's stored in a glass cabinet. Ask the salesman for the key.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »

--for experienced fishers lo-stretch should give slightly less bite feel but better hookup % a trade off.

I don't agree with this statement.  IMO braid (lo-stretch) provide greater sensitivity to feel bites.

As I understand the major drawback of braided line is the;

- Requires special knot to bind and hard to attach to mono

If you are attaching the braid to mono of a similar diameter then it is not very hard to do. Use a blood knot to attach the lines.  Tieing instructions can be found here http://www.steelheader.net/knots/blood_knot.htm .