Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided vs Mono  (Read 11841 times)

Stu

Braided vs Mono
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

Could someone please outline the advantages/disadvantages of braided vs mono fishing line?
Obvious is the diameter, but is there anything else?

Thank you.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

rheticus

Re: Braided vs Mono
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

For spinning, I've found braided line far superior to mono. It's stronger, limper, and has less "memory"--so that you have fewer tangles caused by loops and twists. It's more expensive, and it's also somewhat harder to tie and cut (clipper's won't do the job). But you'll quickly learn to solve these little problems. Also, because it's not transparent the way mono is, you need to think more about what leader to use (mono or fluorocarbon). A swivel at the end of your PowerPro (or equivalent) lets you change leaders almost effortlessly.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »

Can't use braid for Steelhead (although I have never tried) - I would think it would ice up.

For the same lb strength (EG: 30lb), the braid would be much easier to cast as it is much smaller diameter & limper.

You can't use regular knots with braid, however.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »

Braid has little to no stretch, mono does stretch a bit..

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »

Braid has little to no stretch, mono does stretch a bit..

which is actually good if you fish with light leaders.

minsyoo

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

if one has a rod and reel set up with a line, and wants to change the line... is there an easy or a proper way to do that?

Whether you're changing mono to braid or simply stronger lines...?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »

I think braided lines are really for big game fishing.

doja

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

if one has a rod and reel set up with a line, and wants to change the line... is there an easy or a proper way to do that?

Whether you're changing mono to braid or simply stronger lines...?

Just head to your local tackle shop and they can save the line for you(from your reel put on a fly line reel) and  then they'll put on the braid. then you get both lines and can easily put it back on.

I switched 2 reels to braid and the one works very well although I haven't fished it yet but everyone else likes it. I have not tried the other but after snagging up and pulling the snag out the line just went and it was under good pressure and the weight came flying back at me. It smoked me right in my knuckles ( some one else had this happen but worse) and almost did some serious damage, and hurt quite a bit. Still hurts typing this out and I'm luckly I didn't break or fracture anything.

So be careful if using mono and pulling on a snag as it can get you in the eye, face below the belt, or worse, the person behind you.

I suspect the braid won't do that and will try tomorrow.

I use power pro 40lb

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »

I use 50lb Tuff Line Xp on all of my reels (I recently put some 12lb spiderwire on an ultralight spinning reel I have but cannot recommend it as of yet but it casts well).  Depending on the water conditions I will use a top shot of varying lenghts of mono (Maxima) or flourocarbon (Gamma) for their translucent ability.  When fishing slow gin clear water for easily spooked fish I will make the top shot of mono longer than the entire lenght of my drift.  The advantage of having braid underneath in this situation is that it will last for many years as backing while providing good line capacity.  When fishing more colored water and or faster flowing water I will tie a blood knot to some mono beneath my float.  If I think it is necessary or I have already done so I will color about 10 ft of the braid with a green felt tip marker to camoflouge it.  The braid shines because it floats better than mono and even more so than flourocarbon and is visible which makes mending the line on a drift while float fishing easier and since it is so strong losing an expensive float like a drennan is a rarity if the blood knot to the mono is beneath the float.  If I am not using a float and tieing a lure directly to my mainline I will either tie it straight to the braid using a Palomar knot or if I think it is necessary I will blood knot some mono or flouro the length of my rod so as not to affect my casting and provide stealth. As mentioned it is thinner therefore allowing the use of smaller reels, it does not stretch which increases sensitvity and makes it easier to pull out of a snag if done properly (take up the slack, wrap the line around a stick a few times and walk/pull backwards) and it does not have memory which makes it last longer and cast better (since it is limp it does not bouce off a spinning reel so the reel can be filled up more to aid in casting as well).  Furthermore setting the hook is more efficient with braid because it doesn't stretch.  Lots of people shun braid and rumors have been spread that it cuts through other peoples mono but these are just fishermans tales IMO started by those who don't like change.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »

Braid puts a lot of strain on your equipment to use no stretch line.  Increased wear on your guides, more strain on your rod and reel and leader because of no stretch.  Very sensitive though and instant hook sets.  I use it for deep (100 feet +) fishing and some bass applications.  

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »

I fish braid on a bunch of reels and different rods.  I have some smaller high end spinning reels and running braid on them allows me to use them for all my spin fishing needs in the river.  I use a 15-20 turn Albright knot to attach 8+ feet of mono to my braid whcih helps minimise the hi vis nature of braid.  The albright casts and reels in through the guides which makes it better than a swivel.

Braid is not more expensive than mono when you consider that a rod that gets used alot will need a new spool of mono evey season.  I have had the same braid on my fraser rod for 5 or 6 seasons...that would never happen with mono.

the low stretch is a plus to me (sensitivity) more than a minus (loss of stretch = loss of a shock absorber).

I use a trilene knot for both mono and braid...never had it pull out so the knot aspect isnt that tricky.

can't use braid for steelehad?!?  Most steelheads in the Pacific Norht West (ie Oregon and Washington) use braid on spinning reels to float fish jigs...its thin diamter makes it easier to mend/manage.  Ever notice how the winds tend to pick up in the afternoon on the vedder?  I have seen my buddies float dragged across a run because the wind was bowing and pushing his line, meanwhile my 30lb braid sliced thru the wind with virtually no drag.

One thing I recommend is not tieing your weight directly to braided mainline.  Pulling out a snag with 50lb+ braid can damage gears in a baitcaster and it offers up a real chance of snapping a bunch of heavy line off in the river (which ruins a run).  instead, attch your weaight (like hollow core lead) with mono to a swivel or surgical tubing.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

Pulling out a snag with 50lb+ braid can damage gears in a baitcaster and it offers up a real chance of snapping a bunch of heavy line off in the river (which ruins a run).  instead, attch your weaight (like hollow core lead) with mono to a swivel or surgical tubing.

If you wrap your line around a stick it will not affect your reel when pulling on a snag because the line will be completely slack between the reel and stick if done correctly.  This will also help to not break your rod.  I once saw a guy reefing on his rod to free himself from a snag to the point he broke his rod in half he asked me if I had scissors to cut his mainline which would of left and enormous amount of line in the run since he had long bombed it on the Fraser.  I pulled out my trusty stick (smooth, thick and about 6 inches long) wrapped the line around it a few times and easily pulled out the snag retrieving his gear as well!  The trick to help save your gear is to reel in any slack before wraping it around the stick and to pull/walk back slowly until it pulls free.  Sometimes the braid will snap though if there is a knick in the line.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:23:35 PM by Eagleye »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

i also use braid 80lb when i fish the fraser just for the fact it takes forever to wear through and you can feel everything on the bounce and the hook sets are instant with the no stretch. if i snag i wrap the line around my reel nearest the rod i can get it and then just walk backwards until it lets go. I usually only lose the lead part of the betty but still have the snap swivel LOL

if im fishing anywhere else then i will use 15lb ultragreen for my mainline and then depending on species targeted and water clarity i will use anything from 12lb - 6lb for leader line.

i think thats basically what most guys out there do as well.

I have tried lighter braided line for the fraser but had it fray more so i went with the 80lb cause its also nice on the fingers when battling big fish  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »

I fish braid on a bunch of reels and different rods.  I have some smaller high end spinning reels and running braid on them allows me to use them for all my spin fishing needs in the river.  I use a 15-20 turn Albright knot to attach 8+ feet of mono to my braid whcih helps minimise the hi vis nature of braid.  The albright casts and reels in through the guides which makes it better than a swivel. 5 or 6 seasons...that would never happen with mono.

My workhorse spinning reel is a little Shimano Sedona 1500. Based upon your experience Gooey, what braided line would you recommend for this reel?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »

Wow...the 1500 are small.  I would guess 15lb braid would be appropriate based on spool capacity and target species (pinks and coho i assume).