Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon bait for July  (Read 2878 times)

banjoe

Sturgeon bait for July
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the site and would like to ask a question regarding sturgeon bait. I've been shore fishing for sturgeon for the past couple of months, things have been great using ooligans as bait. I fish primarily in Burnaby, as its quite close to home and I usually fish after work. The last couple of times I've gone, Ive been skunked :-\. So my question is, what would be the best type of bait to use for this time of month? I have a feeling that the ooligans just aren't making the cut. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

gofishon

Re: Sturgeon bait for July
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »

It may be a bit late for eulachon. You could try ditch eels or squawfish, and then soon it might be worth trying roe sacks as the sockeye move in. Good luck. Just getting back into sturgeonating the last 2 years after 25 years out of it. Hopefully there are some very experienced fishers out there willing to share bait info for the lower Fraser (Richmond to Mission). Good luck.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

There is a recent article in BC Outdoors that talks about sturgeon tactics and baits.

This time of the year, a floater is king - (dead sockeye - aka "stink bait").

gofishon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »

Stinkbait must be the ticket. Never would have thought using it years ago, but last fall watched guys fighting over floaters with their landing nets. A few of them pull anchor just to scoop them. Huh ???.

banjoe

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »

Ya i don't have access to stink bait, but i will try the ditch eel. Are ditch eels and lampreys the same thing? Thanks for the info, hopefully i can break this skunk streak that I've been on. Also how do you go about attaching the ditch eel to the hook? Do you just poke it through and a couple half hitches at the end, like you would and ooligan?

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »

Fresh chub:)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »

Basically you want to fish whatever is in the river at the time.
So find some Sockeye roe and tie up some bags and get at it. ;D

mistermongz

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:43 PM »

Here in Richmond we been using Oolies and smelt and they have been working it's all by chance i think if they bite they bite and if they dont then come back another day...or go somewhere else....im still pretty new but i have been learning alot in the past few months....Good Luck
Fish on!!!

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »

Caught a 4- & 5-footer last night after work using sockeye pieces and roe.
(The roe was the real ticket, lots of scent).

I  have a friend that knows a guy that knows a native guy...

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »

Fished last Sunday with 8 to the boat..... was definately up higher than you and the only thing that worked was oolies.... stink bait is the best bait coming up, but we need more fish in the river so some floaters will appear!

banjoe

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I managed to catch 2 yesterday a 3ft and a 6ft on a single piece of lamprey. First time in awhile that i got to use a single piece of bait to catch multiple fish. But damn those things are expensive at 17.99 an eel, it was well worth it.  :D On a side note, Ive seen DFO more frequently, good to know that they're around cracking down on poachers.