Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, April 30th 2009: One last kick at the cat  (Read 1019 times)

drh

Decided to give her one more try last night after hearing a few recent reports of fish taken lately,so I brought my gear into work yesterday and headed up right after 4p.m. ::)It only took an hour and a half from the north delta yard to cross the K W. bridge.Wow no cars ,no people and only a bald eagle standing on a log at the bridge run,a beautiful sight I thought.
So I figure this time of year there might be a few steelys hanging around the train bridge and hopefully no anglers.I was right only some kids looking for a quiet place to party.They headed down before me and crossed the bridge to do their thing and by the sounds of the gut wrenching coughs it must of been good too.
I toss out the pink worm I still had on from my last trip up[probably three weeks or more]and second drift through the worm rockets out of the water with a fish attached,looked like about a 6 or 7 lber. I thought,it held its ground in the fast current of the run and didn't want to come to shore.After about a minute or 2 I leaned a little to hard on her and the the worm shot back at me like a bullet.Allmost one of the pot puffers yells,I shrug my shoulders and continue to work the run.
I work the run for about a half hour more with the worm ,then bugs and roe,convinced there was no more biters and slightly put off my concentration I decide to move on.It's now about 7:20 not really enough time to head up river,I decide to just move a couple runs higher where gravelroad corners and park there.The fly fisher that was there when I arrived was just driving away and there wasn't a sole in sight
Water is in unbelievable shape for this time of year I thought as I cross the small side channels to make my way out to the main flow.I lasso on a bug and cast about 10 feet from shore into the edge of the fast water and within seconds the stealth go's down,I reel in sure I just missed a fish only to see a speck of bug tail left on the hook.Re bait cast out again to the same spot this time float goes down I set hard and hook up with another 6 or 7 lb. fish she fought hard for a couple Min's but lost out to the 10 lb. leader and the drh tenacity,a chrome hatch, with a full belly[not a kelt for sure] yup your coming home ;DW Filleted and cleaned her late last night,I squeezed out the stomach contents as I often do and found somebody's lost gooey bob and some steelhead pink curred roe inside.She was one of those suicidal steelhead destine for somebody's freezer might as well be mine ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, April 30th 2009: One last kick at the cat
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

Nice report and you most likely caught the last steelhead of the 2008 - 2009 season. O, I forgot the fly guys have another month left. ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:18:58 AM »

Lucky on the last day. Late april fish always have surprises in there stomachs, interesting to check it out.
The Bigger The Better!

deepcovehooker

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »

Nice going hope you joined the smokers for a little celebration after the catch.  Going up to the Vedder to try my luck with the fly rod next week.