Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questionable activities observed while fishing  (Read 1544 times)

clownfish

Questionable activities observed while fishing
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »

I was camping at Rolley Lake over the weekend and observed two activities that I feel are questionable, and should possibly be addressed to both Fisheries and the Parks ministries, and would like to hear the opinions of anyone that cares to comment. Please note that flaming is not part of the commenting/discussion process.

Thanks

1) Observed a guy throwing rocks into the water, at the mouth of the creek that empties into the lake, immediately across from the picnic/swimming area (roughly northwest of that area), so that he could cross without getting his sneakers wet when he crossed to where he wanted to fish from. I commented on that to him as I was kicking by in my u-boat, "Hey, isn't that the mouth of a creek?' He replied, "Oh, it's OK, it's OK." I didn't bother saying more at the time as the point obviously escaped him, and I was unsure that my immediate assumption of why it was wrong was correct. I do not feel that it was "OK" as, if there is any native breeding population of rainbow or cutty in the lake, then placing a rock "bridge" across the mouth of the creek is interfering with the passage of the fish to and from a potential breeding location, obviously (to me at least) a possible infraction of the laws protecting habitat.

2) Netting of "minnows". Quite a few children were netting "minnows", particularly in the swimming area, and putting them into a small, clear plastic tank of no more than about 0.5 gal capacity. By the numerous calls of "I've got one.", "I've got three." , "I've got ..." they were obviously doing "well" in their pursuit. I saw some of these "minnows" in a different location along the shore, and at least some of them appeared to be sticklebacks (not sure what variety), but if there is a breeding population of trout in Rolley lake then some of them would be trout fry. Even if they are only sticklebacks, they are likely to be a fairly isolated and therefore unique, and especially limited population, and should be protected. Now, while I don't like to take fun activities away from kids, that small tank of water sitting in the sun for even a short period of time will become quite warm, warm water holds less oxygen, fish, like trout and sticklebacks, need oxygen and cool water or they will quickly die, if they are not already on their way due to shock. As this is not the first time (nor location) that I have observed this activity, I think this needs to be addressed as an activity that should be prohibited (if it isn't already, there may be some obscure or not well known rule on the books already that covers this), or at the very least discouraged.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Questionable activities observed while fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

Have seen guys fishing with two rods.

Have seen a guy flossing Coho in the Chehalis and then his buddies would toss there lure over to him on the other side of the run and they would then haul the fish over to
there side.
I had to leave that day after watching him do this with about the fourth fish.
Nobody said a thing and i wasnt about to either as i was by myself.

Seen guys last fall with a 14 lb wild beauty of a Coho that they had just bonked in a small local river.
I then noticed a huge treble hook on a spoon .
I told them the fish was wild and should have been replaced and that it was illegal to keep.
Also told them that this and all other rivers around here were single barbless hook.
Had the dog with me so i felt more comfortable explaining the regs to these clowns.
Oh,i also mentioned that they should pick-up a copy of the fishing regulations.
Unfortunately i think they only knew too well what they were up to but didnt expect me to pull up and witness it when i did.
I tried to get a plate number but they took the long way home and avoided me seeing it.
Those kind of fish are few and far between in this system and they probably just cut the quality of the gene pool by a huge margin by removing that beautifull specimen.

fyrslyer

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »

I was camping at Rolley Lake over the weekend and observed two activities that I feel are questionable, and should possibly be addressed to both Fisheries and the Parks ministries, and would like to hear the opinions of anyone that cares to comment. Please note that flaming is not part of the commenting/discussion process.

Thanks

1) Observed a guy throwing rocks into the water, at the mouth of the creek that empties into the lake, immediately across from the picnic/swimming area (roughly northwest of that area), so that he could cross without getting his sneakers wet when he crossed to where he wanted to fish from. I commented on that to him as I was kicking by in my u-boat, "Hey, isn't that the mouth of a creek?' He replied, "Oh, it's OK, it's OK." I didn't bother saying more at the time as the point obviously escaped him, and I was unsure that my immediate assumption of why it was wrong was correct. I do not feel that it was "OK" as, if there is any native breeding population of rainbow or cutty in the lake, then placing a rock "bridge" across the mouth of the creek is interfering with the passage of the fish to and from a potential breeding location, obviously (to me at least) a possible infraction of the laws protecting habitat.

2) Netting of "minnows". Quite a few children were netting "minnows", particularly in the swimming area, and putting them into a small, clear plastic tank of no more than about 0.5 gal capacity. By the numerous calls of "I've got one.", "I've got three." , "I've got ..." they were obviously doing "well" in their pursuit. I saw some of these "minnows" in a different location along the shore, and at least some of them appeared to be sticklebacks (not sure what variety), but if there is a breeding population of trout in Rolley lake then some of them would be trout fry. Even if they are only sticklebacks, they are likely to be a fairly isolated and therefore unique, and especially limited population, and should be protected. Now, while I don't like to take fun activities away from kids, that small tank of water sitting in the sun for even a short period of time will become quite warm, warm water holds less oxygen, fish, like trout and sticklebacks, need oxygen and cool water or they will quickly die, if they are not already on their way due to shock. As this is not the first time (nor location) that I have observed this activity, I think this needs to be addressed as an activity that should be prohibited (if it isn't already, there may be some obscure or not well known rule on the books already that covers this), or at the very least discouraged.

Number 1 - probably just ignorant of what he was doing

Number 2 dont think there is anything wrong with little kids doing that, let kids be kids

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »

Number 2 I think is just a fun thing that kids like to do (I use to do it like 5-6 years ago). In some ways I agree with it and in some ways I don't. Yes its fun for the family and maybe in certain lakes it isnt a very big deal since there may be lots of fish around, and probably lots of fish spawning in late fall/early spring months when it is too cold for people to be swimming and there will be some minnows escaping. I am not ok with this however when people place them in these conatiners and procede to take them home, and in the process have all there 50 or so minnows die in the hot sun. I especially do not like seeing this in CULTUS LAKE during this time/a little later in the year, as I know for a fact from some of the minnows I've seen come out of the water in nets that these are SOCKEYE minnows. Some days Ive seen people with up to 20 sockeye minnows in ice cream pails. Now Im sure that this cannot be good for the Cultus Lake sockeye population as it is already in very bad shape. I'm not sure if anyone has ever noticed this, but if not at least I brought it up. I would like to see this prohibited on lakes where there are endangered fish but I guess it is up to the parents to let the kids have fun, but make sure the kids put the fish back after, don't let them keep them because they will almost always die.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »

RE #2

I don't have a problem with the children catching a few little minnows but they should be educated by thier parents and not kee them in a small container for very long. I do this with my daughter when we go to the beach. We catch starfish, minnows, tiny crabs etc.. but i always remind her its a living creature and we need to be gentle and put it back where we found it sooner rather than later. Its a great hands on way for kids to learn respect for animals and thier habitats...

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:38:49 PM »

# 2 is best for places like the beach in Whiterock getting bullheads. Even the little crabs have all gone from there though so maybe puttting bugs in a jar is better. :-\ Kids like to do that stuff. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?