Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing rods  (Read 1616 times)

goodoldays

fishing rods
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »

Hey all, just wanted some feed back if you guys can give any. I am looking for a good all around fishing rod for salmon and steelhead that can also handle a
spring. I am currently using the shimano convergence rod and really happy with it. I find that it gives good action for steelhead and coho, but at the same time
it can handle a vedder white spring and hold it's own. I do find however that my rod tip always seems to break, and seeing how it has a life time warranty I'm not
that bothered since it is always replaced free of charge, but I was thinking of a new rod as i would like backup if mine does break while i'm fishing. Can you recommend
a good one? I hear the fenwick HMX medium action is good, any thoughts? My price range is Max $180
Thanks for your comments

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: fishing rods
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »

For the money, you can't beat a Cabelas Tourney Trail.  59.00.  I've used 1 for 7 years now.  This includes downrigger work. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:10:02 PM »

A medium action is a great rod for coho and steelhead but if you are going to buy a secong rod you may want to consider bumping it up to a med/heavy. Using a medium action rod for springs is probable why you are breaking the tip off. too soft of a rod for the weight of a spring.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »

You might want to check out Berry's Father's Day sale coming up.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »

Great advice Flyguy.

Verdi

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:37:39 PM »

I fish a Fenwick HMXT 110  11'  MH 15-25lbtest.

I fished this rod for years, on  steel and coho and chum.

But when i started landing big springs in heavy water the backbone was not there. I did reef on somefish and the rod never broke, but it would flex to just above the last eye.

Even when i had a small steelhead on everybody assume it was huge due to the bend in the rod.
The newer models have a little more backbone.

I fish a Trophy rod 11' 15-20lbs line and it has plenty of backbone for the large srpings