Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: carbon fiber drag disk  (Read 1705 times)

scheng53

carbon fiber drag disk
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »

IS it actually better when you "up-grade" your drag disks to carbon fiber?
Tried it years ago, and still believe the factory drag's better on the shimano.

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: carbon fiber drag disk
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

It may be a good idea however , it also may void the warranty should the reel break due to stress on the other components inside the reel .
me thinks
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bcguy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

It may be a good idea however , it also may void the warranty should the reel break due to stress on the other components inside the reel .
me thinks

Precisely the reason you should upgrade the rest of the comonents while your at it, cheap and easy to do any how. Had an old C4 I upgraded with the fancy bearings, ceramic pawl, and carbon drag, just to see if it did make a difference, and yes, it definately cast further, reeled smoother, and the drag was nicer

So spend the extra money and do it right, you cant go wrong, all easy installs, just make sure you down load an exploded drawing of the reel before you crack it open and start monkeying around....
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

vwguy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

x2 I do this to all my Abu Ambassadeur reels.can even change the handle.Mikes reel repair in Abbotsford usually has all the stuff u need.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

Yup for sure. I upgraded the wife's bait caster and now it goes like crazy. I can empty almost 3/4 the spool with a 4oz betty !! no need to ever cast that far for fishing but WoW  :o

I upgraded hers because she doesn't cast as strongly as I do nor as easily so it was a perfect choice because now its effortless for her to bomb casts (she only ever fishes sockeye or pinks usually)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ken D

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

IS it actually better when you "up-grade" your drag disks to carbon fiber?
Tried it years ago, and still believe the factory drag's better on the shimano.

Carbon washers can be re-built..just remove all the tramp oil and grease, give them a very light dusting with a brass wire brush..just enough to scuff up the cloth. This presumes your life-force for 4 minute's work comes to less than 10.00 for a set of 3. Otherwise, just thow them out and buy new.

Shimano uses several styles of washers, so your indication is not totally accurate. They use canvas, gasket material, solid carbon, and others.

There's a guy over in either Macedonia, or Bosnia, can't recall which... who's using kevlar and having great results.  Pic is fuzzy, oh well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:48:43 PM by Ken D »