Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shipping fish  (Read 1120 times)

top fuel

Shipping fish
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »

any thoughts of the best way to send some frozen fish home for Christmas. Fish is frozen in single portions enough for two people, and Vacuume packed. Going to Saskatoon was thinking of grey hound any input would be appreciated.

DRP79

Re: Shipping fish
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »

A few years back when I was in Calgary, my mom sent some xmas presents Greyhound. She sent them the first week of December. I got them the second week of February. No Joke, they lost it for 2 months. Not saying its the norm but something to consider.

Stewie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »

I would ship it using a courier company and pay for next day delivery.

norm_2

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »

I have done this and my smoked salmon was frozen after 2 days.  The trip was a flight and layover at 30 degrees Celsius.  The flight was 10 hours where the plane would have been very cold.  After 2 days, the dry ice was 50% melted.  I think, it could have lasted another 2 days at 30 degrees Celsius before it would have been at room temperature.

I froze my fish, put it in a plastic bag in case it leaked, bought the smallest chunk of dry ice which I think was 10 lbs and was around $15, surrounded it with 3 layers of newspaper, surrounded it with a insulating plastic blanket, put everything in one last garbage bag in case the box broke, and last inside a sealed cardboard box.