Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR need to buy a new laptop  (Read 6207 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
NFR need to buy a new laptop
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »

Need to tap into the wealth of knowledge.  I am in the market for a laptop and I went around to the usual suspects ( bestbuy , future shop , staples and LD).  I am getting conflicting stories as to what to get .  Wondering if someone can help me as to what not to get or what to get that understands this stuff.  I keep hearing stories of certain chipsets being fragile and such.   

I need the following

Preferable under 450 ....

Most the stuff I need for work is web based.

Something with a decent sized screen 14inc or bigger

Something that Dosent look terribly cheap( I am in sales and customers will see it)

cant be a Mac

Thanks
see ya on the river

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: NFR need to buy a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »

Stay away from HP, that's my only advice my wife has had two toshiba and they seem good,

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »

unless you need memory hungry applications like video editing and corel draw photoshop just get an asus aspire with windows 8. excellent laptop good battery life led screen hdmi dvd drive and 3 usb ports. 500gb memory is more than sufficient. Doesnt have to get technical to buy laptops at retailers but they make it seem like it. Just saw the Visions black friday flyer...good deals there.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »

Hp Is wonderful. Right now i have an Hp Pavilion g6 with 15 inch screen with windows 7 great computer.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »

I am starting to think this is a coke vs Pepsi thing
see ya on the river

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »

I am starting to think this is a coke vs Pepsi thing
Hahaha
 ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »

I'm surprised at the comment above saying stay away from HP. What were your problems with it?

I have a 10 year old HP Pavilion running windows 7. It still works and runs quite well still - enough that I can easily run 20+ tabs on the internet, write essays, run powerpoint and other applications without any issues. I run photoshop and go pro studios on it without too many issues (the odd time it is slow or will go unresponsive - but it isn't bad most of the time). I would not hesitate to go with HP again after my experiences with them so far.

There are so many computers on the market now.. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd say your biggest downfall is only wanting to spend $450. Personally, when I buy again, I will drop over $1000 to get the highest model. It's what I did last time and it's worked out great so far. For $1000 you can get a pretty amazing laptop. Heck we were looking the other day and you can get awesome ones for under $700.

Even just looked now and you can get an HP Pavilion 15 p080ca Notebook with 1 TB Sata drive (memory) and 8GB of SDRAM for $600 off HP's site. That's about as good as you'll get for a laptop (way more than you need - but why not spend the extra $150 and never have a problem with running out of space, losing speed, etc?).

Good luck.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »

I'm surprised at the comment above saying stay away from HP. What were your problems with it?

I have a 10 year old HP Pavilion running windows 7. It still works and runs quite well still - enough that I can easily run 20+ tabs on the internet, write essays, run powerpoint and other applications without any issues. I run photoshop and go pro studios on it without too many issues (the odd time it is slow or will go unresponsive - but it isn't bad most of the time). I would not hesitate to go with HP again after my experiences with them so far.

There are so many computers on the market now.. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd say your biggest downfall is only wanting to spend $450. Personally, when I buy again, I will drop over $1000 to get the highest model. It's what I did last time and it's worked out great so far. For $1000 you can get a pretty amazing laptop. Heck we were looking the other day and you can get awesome ones for under $700.

Even just looked now and you can get an HP Pavilion 15 p080ca Notebook with 1 TB Sata drive (memory) and 8GB of SDRAM for $600 off HP's site. That's about as good as you'll get for a laptop (way more than you need - but why not spend the extra $150 and never have a problem with running out of space, losing speed, etc?).

Good luck.
Pavilions are the best

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

i just bought the wife an acer laptop from future shop on-sale for $269 a few weeks ago.... but when i got home i found out the gave me the wrong 1 ! this 1 had an i4 processor and 8gb ram and 1 tb hard drive lol  ;) not much bloatware on it either

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »

Need to tap into the wealth of knowledge.  I am in the market for a laptop and I went around to the usual suspects ( bestbuy , future shop , staples and LD).  I am getting conflicting stories as to what to get .  Wondering if someone can help me as to what not to get or what to get that understands this stuff.  I keep hearing stories of certain chipsets being fragile and such.   

I need the following

Preferable under 450 ....

Most the stuff I need for work is web based.

Something with a decent sized screen 14inc or bigger

Something that Dosent look terribly cheap( I am in sales and customers will see it)

cant be a Mac

Thanks

One word NCIX

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:56:49 AM »

Well, if you can get down to the Microsoft store before 7 am tomorrow(Friday) morning they may still have a few of these kicking around:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-15-i15547-5033sLV-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.308794900

Sold out online but I heard they held back some stock for their Black Friday event tomorrow.

There is a store at Metrotown and the prices are the same as the U.S. stores.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:07:55 AM by Stratocaster »

StillAqua

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »

I buy laptops/tablets/desktops from two sources now. For work, I go to NCIX as someone mentioned, when
I want warranty service and higher end hardware performance and price isn't my major concern.

For personal use, I buy from PC-Canada http://www.pc-canada.com/. Their prices keep dropping until the inventory sells out so you can usually get a pretty good price/performance ratio if you wait and jump on it. My advice is to look at PC-Canada and see what you can get in your price range, then go to the stores and try different models out to see what models and screen size/keyboard/touchpad/size you are most comfortable with. Then shop around on-line and see what you can get.

There really aren't any bad PC makers (most of the components come from the same sources) but sometimes the occasional lemon will turn people off specific makers. Acer and Asus have been good for me although I just snagged a Microsoft Surface Pro3 that is great fun and very cool.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 06:29:31 AM »

As per failure rating and experience in our  service shop Asus or higher end Toshiba and Lenovo are good bets. HP and Acer are bottom feeders. Surface mount graphics  IC get undone in them and re-floating it not always works. These are relatively newer models with these faults. It doesn't matters what owners of them in here says. I have seen the fail too many times. Do your own research and do not listen what salesman is saying.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »

+1 for Asus and +1 for NCIX.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »

trying to get that dell on microsofts store site right now... my fingers are sore from hitting refresh... they are out of stock but I was told they might add 100 or so
see ya on the river