Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Versatile rod and reel?  (Read 20487 times)

naturelover

Versatile rod and reel?
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first salmon rod and reel and was wondering if there are any suggestions on a rod and reel to get, including info on a good brand and model.

Ideally, I'd like to purchase a rod and reel that is versatile enough to use for salmon ranging from pinks to chinooks, and plan to use the setup for bank fishing and beach fishing, and don't foresee wanting to use the rod for either bar fishing or trolling from a boat.

What should I be looking for assuming it is possible to fish for pinks and chinooks with a single rod/reel combo?
- rod length?
- rod power?
- rod action?
- rod line test range?
- rod lure weight range?
- baitcaster or spinning reel?
- size of spinning reel?
- advice on specific manufacturer and model for rod and reel

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:55:30 PM by naturelover »

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Versatile rod and reel?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »

You describe the fishing I do exactly.

10'6" - 11'

Trophy XL or Fenwick HMX Salmon/Steelhead ( I have both, and both have been excellent.  I prefer the HMX which feels a little more supple.  Both have been used to catch pinks (at bit overkill for these smallish fish), coho, sockeye, steelhead, chum and springs up to ~25 lbs).

medium power, moderate-fast action

Generally 15-20/25

Baitcaster (so you can drag free drift floats and toss spoons etc)

Abu Garcia 6500

Nothing against spinning reels but the bait caster, once you get used to it is more versatile, IMHO.

Spool with 20 lbs ultra green

Run up to 15 lbs leader

If you go to a good store such as Highwater on the North Shore or Pacific (and there are many others) they will sort you out with the above or similar).

GL

barklee

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »

pinks and chinooks on same rod/reel?

First a good pink rod is med to light, mostly light to feel the play and the chinook is med to heavy, closer to heavy. For chinook if you aren't bar fishing or trolling you are casting hardware a med-heavy rod is too heavy to cast all day.
I guess you want something in the middle. Not too light that the chinook will break it in half.

I thought just like you a while ago I wanted a trout to salmon rod so I went to BB and told them that and he handed me a Fenwick eagle gt 8 foot 6 spinning 8-20lbs mod fast action plus a diawa lexa reel. Awesome combo I caught trout, pinks, coho, and chinook also small sturgeon. The action is so sensitive and the rod is feather light I could cast all day. You can also get extra spools for different line weight.

But today I have a specific rod for all species more fun but expensive.
Good Luck

I also recommend the HMX in same lbs also the length of 8"6 is good cause its long enough and small to go in streams.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:18:35 PM by barklee »

naturelover

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »

Thanks guys,

Just to summarize:
- rod length from 8'6" to 11'
- medium power
- moderate/fast action
- baitcaster or spinning reel will work
- rod line weight range from 8-20 lbs.
- Fenwick HMX good rod
- reel size 4000-6500

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »

It really depends on which rivers you intend to fish.  For small to medium sized rivers like the Vedder, I generally have no problem landing Chinooks with my Sage 2106 which is rated 8 - 17 lb.  However, I now have a Shimano Technium rated 12 - 20 lb (med heavy) that I now use specifically for Chinooks or the Fraser.  My point here is that you can probably get away with a medium rated rod (e.g. 10-20 lb line rating) for rivers like the Vedder.  Shimano Convergence, Trophy XL, or Fenwick (Knnn mentioned above) come to mind as decent rods.

I'd go with a baitcaster if you intend to "drift" fish.  Spinning rods are better for cast and retrieve (e.g. spinner fishing), but baitcasters such as the Abu Garcia C3 6500 are very popular, and for good reason.  They are good reels and will last a lifetime if maintained properly.

If drift fishing, I'd go for at least a 10 foot, 6 inch rod.  This length is better suited for longer casts and maintaining that all important "drag-free drift".  Again, it depends on the water you intend to fish.

Good luck!!!

lapa

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »

I would suggest G Loomis SAR 1265 with line rating 10-40, weight 2-8 oz. Good for Fraser,Vedder and ocean. Can handle any fish from pink to chinook. Very light and powerful. Excellent combo with Luna 300 .

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

lol, keep it simple. dont put brands in the mix...

MEDIUM ACTION ROD.
Bait Caster Reel
Not braided line.
job done.

There are way to many suggestions that  are too spicific. this is a general reel/rod requirement filled. now i would reccomend researching what you want and what you can afford. there are combos at 175$ range before tax that would suffice but you can get a decent rig for 300 bucks. and if its an all around rig dont blow big bucks.. it wont make you a better fisherman at all. it will just cost more if it breaks.
Tight lines to all

naturelover

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »

Thanks guys,

Ideally I'd like to use the rod for both smaller rivers like the Vedder and larger rivers like the lower Fraser.
Currently, I've been only throwing spoons and spinners in the lower Fraser, though I plan to learn all types of bank fishing styles (including drift fishing) which will give me the flexibility to use whatever method happens to be the most productive at a particular time and place.

So it seems that 10.5' is the way to go, and also using a baitcaster for drift fishing. Though I've read that spinning reels are better for light lures and windy conditions, so I'm still hesistant to go the baitcaster route at this point. Especially since I plan to do beach fishing which can tend to be windy.

The G Loomis looks nice, but way out of my price range, especially since it'll be my first (serious) rod/reel.

----

BTW, does anybody have experience with an Okuma SST rod?

losos

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »

Not to discourage you ,but you will not be able to toss light lures with medium rod and C6500 to far if at all. There is a reason for equipment being specific for the task. Ambassador C6500 will not give you enough fast start up for light lure casting, i know , I have one. Imo you should choose one or two methods that will allow you to catch desired species and that are not far apart in terms of gear requirement otherwise you'll end up with a lot of struggle.
Give yourself time to complete two or three rods for different fishing methods. Since there is Steelhead season approaching buy rod that is suitable for steely and some smaller salmon fishing i.e. coho and pink. Lets say 8-17 lb rated rod and baitcasting reel C6500 would be good just not for light lures or light float set-ups. G-Loomis is a good rod and if you don't mind you can get a good deal on used one ,it just will take some patience to find one.
As for Okuma SST rod I've read positive opinions about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:59:14 AM by losos »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »

Good point losos.  The "bigger" baitcasters like the Abu 6000 series, Shimano Calcutta 400 series, and Daiwa Luna 300 series DO NOT cast light gear very well at all.  In fact, for small to medium sized rivers, I like my Calcutta 200 B, Luna 253, or my Abu 5500 much better.  I only use my "bigger" reels for the Fraser, which I only do once every 4 years... ;)

burnaby

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »

Agree with the 1 combo for pink and Springs gets you poor setup for both.

Vedder 8'6" with light baitcaster (I use Luna 203 or Calcutta 200 TE), works great for up to Chums and small Springs.

Fraser 12' with larger baitcaster like Luna 300.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

10.5 ft and level wind for the drift fishing.
Cheap spinning rod and reel for tossing spinners.

naturelover

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »

Thanks guys,

If I had to choose, I'd be more interested in improving my spoon/spinner skills, as well as starting beach fishing, and bobber/jigging, rather than diving into drift fishing for the time being. So I think I'll go for a spinning set-up as opposed to baitcaster setup. Also, it seems that one can drift with a spinning setup, albeit, not as easily as with a baitcaster.

Any ideas on the size of spinning reel to get? Still planning on the 10.5 ft rod.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »

Personally I wouldn't cheap out on a spinning setup, I don't understand why many choose to when they use one for salmon. A good spinning reel is so much more enjoyable to retrieve a lure with, a good spinning rod has a sensitive tip to detect all the bites and has a good bend when fighting a fish.

My favourite spinning rod for salmon, after trying it out for two seasons now (especially the last three weeks…), is Shimano Clarus CSS90ML2B. It's 9' long, rated 6 to 10lb. The tip is very sensitive, the top section is quite soft while the bottom section is a bit faster for handling the bigger fish. A good rod for spincasting in rivers and on the beach.

For spinning reel, go with a Shimano 2500 size… Sahara is a good one to go with. Spool it with 15lb test braided line.

This setup will cover coho salmon, pink salmon, chum salmon, small chinook salmon, big bull trout, big rainbow trout…

If you're using a baitcasting setup only in the Lower Mainland, just go with a 10'6" rated 8lb - 12/15lb. Go with a small/low profile baitcasting reel.

I pretty much only use these two setups throughout the whole year while the other dozen sit on the rack and collect dust...

barklee

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »

My choice is similar to Rod:

Salmon Steelhead models: HMX-S962L-MF spinning rod 9'6" 2 piece, moderate fast action 4-10lbs line

I use this, awesome for salmon you do have to play a little more and can cast big and small lures from shore with ease.

Shimano rods are OK but I hate fuji guides the HMX has SS guides so they never fall out and very light. The price is also is just as good if not cheaper. But go to the store compare the two feel the action and sensitivity you'll see.

Also shimano reels the good ones stradic, sustain are very expensive. I recommend like I said the diawa lexa so smooth.

with rod and reel get both with line for under $200 much cheaper then say Gloomis just a rod.