Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life time of fly lines  (Read 2884 times)

Happy Clam

Life time of fly lines
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »

How long does a Rio fly line last? Cheers.

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Life time of fly lines
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »

It depends on how much you use your fly line. The more you use it, the more wear you will put on your fly line. Are you talking about a floating or sinking fly line? In general once a floating fly line develops numerous cracks and sinks in multiple locations it is pretty much at the end of its life.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:21:08 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
    • Vancouver Fishing Trips
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »

It will depend on how often you use it, and how often you clean it.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »

...and how much "stress" you put on it.   ;)  If you spend the majority of your time playing out springs and chum, the line will wear out faster!  If you're fishing for trout, it will last much longer.  My dry line for trout is at least 5 seasons old, and it shows no signs of wear.  On the other hand, I've had a line break down (dry line portion) in a single salmon season.  I believe that's quite unusual, and I managed to get that line "warrantied" and recieved a new line!  Anyway, I think you get the picture...

Happy Clam

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »

Thanks all. I fish in Hong Kong mostly with the Bone Fish flyline
cuz the tropical weather. Just prepare when should the fly line
be replaced.  :D

Duffs

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »

Sorry, but can't let this older thread go without adding something.  The SUN... it's vicious on floating lines.  Especially in your region of the planet.  You won't see a lot of BC anglers complaining about it, since we don't really get that much sun and, when we do, it's at a relatively shallow angle.  However, I spent some time in New Zealand and Tasmania and couldn't believe the speedy damage done to my floating lines.  Hooray for ozone holes!  I followed that time with a couple months in the south pacific and south east asia at similar latitudes to Hong Kong where I saw similar bleaching and cracking of new lines.  I was fishing a lot while in the southern hemisphere and not a single line survived the season (7 months in total).  For some raw numbers, I know of one line that saw approx 45 full days of service in the New Zealand Southlands region and it went from an olive stealth line to a faded yellowish cracked mess.  (It was a great weather down there that year.)