Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Valley coastal cutthroat trout discussion  (Read 6179 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Fraser Valley coastal cutthroat trout discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »

If they do not go to sea they are not anadromous. They are just cutts.

I'm just repeating what I read from some DFO site of releases ... Of course I can't find where I read this right now, I've been up since 5 and I'm a bit delerious ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:16:01 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »

Anadromous cutts don't always go to sea, but they more often move from system to system,

If they do not go to sea they are not anadromous. They are just cutts.

technically that's correct. However in the Fraser Valley, particularly above Mission the % of cutts that actually go to the Fraser estuary is well below 50%. I also don't think you can id if a fish has spent some time feeding in the chuck without a scale reading.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

the SRCs found in any fraser trib could be either fluvial(moves from large rivers ie. fraser, columbia into small tributaries and back) or true anadromous(ocean to fresh water tribs.) or resident.if you come across them in a lake they are known as adfluvial. i'm not that educated re. scale count other than SRCs have 150-180 scales along their lat. line whaereas steelhead have under 150 scales.i wasn't aware that true SRCs have a different lat line scale count from say a resident or adfluvial.are there any graduate biologist out there that can set us straight?i'm a little rusty as uni was twenty something years ago...
            ssabnik :)
p.s. my info comes from:F.Fishing Coastal Cuthroat Trout,Flies, Techniques and Conservation
                              author: Les Johnson
                             Frank Amato Publications Inc.
just found this book a couple of days ago. Hope its an xmas present for me this year

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »

I was walking around the Stave yesterday killing some time and came across a some spawming Coho.what was really cool was watching the rather large Cutthroat try to sneak up and scoop eggs but everytime the cuttie got close the Coho male would chase it around the holding water like a heat seeking missle.It was really cool to watch but too bad I had neither the flyrod or the video camera.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

Hey Guys,

I found the link I was talking about, where it mentions anadromous cutty stocking:

http://www.gofishbc.com/r2.htm

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »

Coastal cutthroat trout hatchery productions and stockings in the Fraser Valley are carried out at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery in Abbotsford, which is operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. Here is a ten minute video that sums up this operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QkOu15rjXM

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 02:16:36 PM »

ssab nik: scale counts and readings are not the same thing.

A reading exams the rings on the scale which are much like the rings on a tree. Ocean residence is usually indicated by large ring spacings (growth) and readings of Fraser system cutts  indicate most fish above Mission don't go to sea
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
Re: Fraser Valley coastal cutthroat trout discussion
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

Nicole,
That's a good book. Les works down at the Orvis shop in Bellevue Washington. Another well known beach angler is Les's friend Leland Miyawaki, also at the Orvis shop. Great guys to talk to about cutthroat! Leland has a pretty famous beach / cutty fly that's well known in those parts.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »

Here's a cutty video I found awhile back, right click to download it:

Cutties feeding on coho spawn:
www.nicolegoodman.com/videos/cohospawning.mpeg

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »

that's a great clip, short and sweet... i'm loving all the fishing clips you all have. keep em coming.. take it easy
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:26:16 PM by tight-lines »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 06:23:46 AM »

That clip is pretty cool. Gutsy little buggers arent they :)
always a student

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »

ssab nik: scale counts and readings are not the same thing.

A reading exams the rings on the scale which are much like the rings on a tree. Ocean residence is usually indicated by large ring spacings (growth) and readings of Fraser system cutts  indicate most fish above Mission don't go to sea

Ralph, are you aware of studies available online detailing scale sampling of Fraser cutts?