Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 298318 times)

fyrslyer

Fred's has commercialized this river completely the past 3 years. It will always be incredibly busy from here on out. No matter who posts what pictures, wherever they want, it will always have an insane amount of people just due to the (often exaggerated) Fred's reports.

Not only that, but a bunch of lesser known flows have seen a 100% (probably more) increase in anglers this past year due to some of the newer employees (at "the shop") with no regard for how sensitive and special those flows are. It's only a matter of time before you have to bring your own rock to every flow from Vasncouver to the Thompson. It'll only get worse.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more Everyday

dereke

• Old Timer

You complain, and say nailed it, yet you post pictures on the largest forum in B.C. It reaches a much wider audience than a privacy set facebook account would. Then you name and ask for information on a small river on your own thread and ASK for people to post pics of it :o Better give your head a little shake...

Fred's has commercialized this river completely the past 3 years. It will always be incredibly busy from here on out. No matter who posts what pictures, wherever they want, it will always have an insane amount of people just due to the (often exaggerated) Fred's reports.

Not only that, but a bunch of lesser known flows have seen a 100% (probably more) increase in anglers this past year due to some of the newer employees (at "the shop") with no regard for how sensitive and special those flows are. It's only a matter of time before you have to bring your own rock to every flow from Vasncouver to the Thompson. It'll only get worse.

Dan I believe you "nailed it".
always a student

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Ye$$$... He did, but as stated in other threads.

Many new folks want all the information now.
They don't want to work for the knowledge or respect.

Too bad.

There are a lot of young,  up and coming, anglers who'll be whining  louder in a few years about how busy it's getting as the populations and pressure increases.
Info doesn't have to be secret but share it with those that YOU know and trust.
NOT everyone on the internet is your friend.
Most want a free handout and contribute nothing more than taking advantage of the info handed out making future outings harder and harder to find and enjoy.

But, then again, if someone else can litter; why can't I?

Respect is harder to gain than it is to lose.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Fred's is a business. It's hard enough for any local tackle shop to survive without constraints like "no promoting fishing".
They have been (over)hyping the Vedder for as long as I can remember. I don't think this year (or the past 3 years) is particularly different except for the larger number of people seeing the reports. You can't really blame the internet on Fred's.

Would there be fewer new anglers on the river if they knew that they would get skunked 19 times out of 20? I'm pretty sure they will figure it out. By March there are always fewer anglers on the river.

Drewhill

Can't we all just agree to blame Rodney like the good ol' days

SPEYMAN

I have fished for 67 years, never been "skunked". There were many days there were no fish caught or even a "bite". Fishing is just that, not catching. There is no better way to spend time than fishing.

Take a look at how long the Boxing Day Derby has been happening. No one individual or business is responsible for the number of people pursuing the pleasure of fishing on any river.

milo

• Old Timer

Can't we all just agree to blame Rodney like the good ol' days

You mean not everyone agrees?!?!? :o :o

:P

sockeyed

Chris' old videos of salmon season show that the Vedder was a gong show way back in the day as well. Steelheading back then may have been a different story?

With the increase in population, google maps, and internet forums it will no doubt add bodies.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Chris' old videos of salmon season show that the Vedder was a gong show way back in the day as well. Steelheading back then may have been a different story?

With the increase in population, google maps, and internet forums it will no doubt add bodies.

Yes steelheading back then 20+years ago was a total different story, a lot more fish and way less fishermen, lol. [/size]

Dave

• Old Timer

Try 50 years ago ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

50 years ago they were also killing wilds at will.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Reading all this I am scared to go out there, maybe the reason I have not had one outing for steelhead this year. :P

Of course as FA knows I have been busy making Leaf trades. ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

wow!...so many anglers passionately protecting steelhead in a hatchery enhanced river like the vedder. New anglers want advice about fishing and freds is now the bad guy? Is chilliwack dart and tackle next? Berry's bait and tackle also on the hit list?? If we dont encourage new people to start fishing.....then the funds used to stock hatchery fish in lakes and rivers will stay stagnant. The recreation needs new anglers every year. It provides jobs and adds to the local economies like chilliwack and Richmond, . Many anglers try for a year then just give up when they dont have success.....because they are newbies and its bad to give them tips to help them become better fisherman on the internet. So i guess rodney should be blamed as well because he tries to forward the fishing community with his website. If the angling pressure continues the steelhead will continue to be raised in the hatchery...they may even increase egg production.....year after year for anglers to catch more fish. AS usual we all act like we own the vedder.......again..  ::)

SilverChaser

Reading all this I am scared to go out there, maybe the reason I have not had one outing for steelhead this year. :P

Of course as FA knows I have been busy making Leaf trades. ;D
Nice salary dump by the Leafs  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Dave

• Old Timer

50 years ago they were also killing wilds at will.
Very true, and probably one of the reasons there are fewer wild fish today.