Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 298321 times)

96XJ

Are you guys members of PETA or something?
We're all out there with the purpose of imbeding a sharp metal object into a fishes face, then playing it on a string until it is so weak it has no energy left and gives up.
I'm talking within reason guys ("people" for the raw vegans) I can't really think of a spot on the Vedder where it's impossible to land a fish. Tough yes, impossible no. Every time you lose a steelhead I hope you guys are marking it on your license then.

I realize this is a chilliwack river thread but there were comments not specific to this fishery , my comment too was about fishing in general ,if you plan on releasing the fish i would think you would not want to tire it out any more than you have to , stuff happens so fast whether you are on the water or next to it , just be safe 

"We're all out there with the purpose of imbeding a sharp metal object into a fishes face" - good point  ;)

Drewhill

Was lucky enough to have a weekday off and get out there. River is a bit high but with good vis in the upper and mid. I'm actually shocked by how many guys were out there today. Not really much difference between a Tuesday and Sunday. I find Saturdays are still by far the busiest day. Sounded like a really slow day out there, was expecting it to be better considering the conditions and time of year.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Yea it seems like that is the new thing this year. Is it really necessary on the C/V? where cant you get access with a short walk?
I see a two man pontoon boat, a red raft and a blue raft on a regular basis. Looks like the big Blue one with the propane heater on board is a guide. Same oars man with different  anglers on board every time I see it.

DRP79

Was lucky enough to have a weekday off and get out there. River is a bit high but with good vis in the upper and mid. I'm actually shocked by how many guys were out there today. Not really much difference between a Tuesday and Sunday. I find Saturdays are still by far the busiest day. Sounded like a really slow day out there, was expecting it to be better considering the conditions and time of year.

Definitely lots of people out. Vis was quite decent and water a little high. Fished lots of fishy water from mid to lower river and got skunked again for the 8th trip in a row. Used up another vacation day to get out and it beats working but damn this is reminding me of my first steelhead season 4 years ago. Not a bite yet and I have only seen 1 person with a fish.

I also had a look at the derby numbers and it makes me feel a little less dejected. Last year there were 211 fish weighed in for January. This year there were 70.

Drewhill

Definitely lots of people out. Vis was quite decent and water a little high. Fished lots of fishy water from mid to lower river and got skunked again for the 8th trip in a row. Used up another vacation day to get out and it beats working but damn this is reminding me of my first steelhead season 4 years ago. Not a bite yet and I have only seen 1 person with a fish.

I also had a look at the derby numbers and it makes me feel a little less dejected. Last year there were 211 fish weighed in for January. This year there were 70.

I was chatting with the guys that help tube and they were saying last year they had 30+ and this year they were only at 12.

NothingToSnagAbout

Can someone explain to a newb why the number of females weighed in greatly outnumber the males?

Moloto

Can someone explain to a newb why the number of females weighed in greatly outnumber the males?

I recently found an article that could offer a potential explanation to this. I posted it in the link below
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39361.0

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

The river has had some major changes.
Changing some holding areas and travel lanes.
May be taking some more time to dial it in.
I know many of my go to spots aren't as productive as in the past but have seen a bunch of new, potentially, productive water.
Time will tell...

Dave

• Old Timer

or ... we are seeing the effects of poor ocean survival ie, warmer ocean temperatures impacting available food, and a massive toxic algal bloom last summer.
Our spring spawner counts will be interesting.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Ya, I know.
I was just trying to be optimistic.

Drewhill

or ... we are seeing the effects of poor ocean survival ie, warmer ocean temperatures impacting available food, and a massive toxic algal bloom last summer.
Our spring spawner counts will be interesting.

I've also heard this is the return year that they released a lot of undersized fish which led to poor ocean survival.

ribolovac02

I think the answer to your question can be as simple as "ROE"
I might be wrong and there could be some scientific reason behind this, but I think a great amount of stealheaders choose to kill a doe over a buck couse they get stealhead roe, which is great bait to catch more stealhead lol...
I could be way off with this one , just a thought...

Dave

• Old Timer

I've also heard this is the return year that they released a lot of undersized fish which led to poor ocean survival.
Exactly so.

Dave

• Old Timer

I think the answer to your question can be as simple as "ROE"
I might be wrong and there could be some scientific reason behind this, but I think a great amount of stealheaders choose to kill a doe over a buck couse they get stealhead roe, which is great bait to catch more stealhead lol...
I could be way off with this one , just a thought...

I would be very surprised an angler who has spent days trying to catch a hatchery steelhead would release a male. For sure the top rods who fish every day release hatchery fish, but they are few and far between, imo.

ribolovac02

I would be very surprised an angler who has spent days trying to catch a hatchery steelhead would release a male. For sure the top rods who fish every day release hatchery fish, but they are few and far between, imo.
It was just my opinion, on the other hand I don't think anglers go steal heading to catch a hatchery stealhead, I think they go steal heading becouse they love fishing and stealhead is a top prized fish to catch so it just normal human nature that anglers would like to catch these magnificent creatures.
Now all the anglers I know and there is at least 25 I could name if I had to (I never would online lol)all great stealheaders, and will for sure choose to let a buck go and kill a doe just becouse they get the roe...

That's why I throu my thought out in the previous post