Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO should rethink eulachon plan for 2013 say First Nation leaders  (Read 2937 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: DFO should rethink eulachon plan for 2013 say First Nation leaders
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

If the Fraser river eulachons are SARA listed, which I hear from other sources they soon will be, I wonder in the future if they will be allowed to fish for them at all, I would think not. It would impact the shrimp trawl fishery as well.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »

Wow, listing eulachon under SARA would have huge implications... can't see it happening, or perhaps the criteria for listings have diminished?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »

Better to err on the side of caution than to have another east coast cod debacle. The odd thing is, the east cod are returning in numbers, but there's no big market for them now. ( I'd like some salted with turnips, taters and scrunchins please! ;D)
http://

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »

Better to err on the side of caution than to have another east coast cod debacle. The odd thing is, the east cod are returning in numbers, but there's no big market for them now. ( I'd like some salted with turnips, taters and scrunchins please! ;D)
I agree about the caution aspect but just one of the earlier criteria for listing a species under SARA was that "critical habitat" that affected the survival of that listed species could not be harmed in any way.  Defining critical habitat is of course up for debate but taken for its word regarding eulachon, would mean no gravel extraction on the Fraser and no sewage effluent discharges. And as BNF861 states, no shrimp trawl fishery or FN harvest or using eulachons for sturgeon bait (that alone would cause an uproar)

Pray tell us westcoasters ... what's a scrunchin ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »

Small pieces of cured salted pork fried til golden brown.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »

The possibility of eulachon being listed on SARA was discussed at recent SFAC meeting in the Fraser Valley. It sounded more like when it will happen, not if it will happen. Some of the changes sturgeon anglers should be preparing for is the ability to prove that the eulachon in your possession for bait are purchased from stores (where eulachon originate from Alaska).

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »

Small pieces of cured salted pork fried til golden brown.
Cover your salt cod, turnips and taters with both the melted pork fat and the scrunchins. Some like a little onion in the mix too. Sounds grim, but really yummy.not Low sodium, low fat, and cholesterol free, but it is lactose and gluten free. ;D Great fish cakes too. I refused all other forms of salt fish as a kid and that was hard, living in a fishing family. Imagine - salt cod tongues. :o
http://