Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veterinarian outraged after eagle dies of lead poisoning  (Read 2137 times)

fishingwithegg2

Veterinarian outraged after eagle dies of lead poisoning
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »

http://youtu.be/8Lj7lmiy-Xg

Sadly it also reminds me that a lot of fishing sinkers are made from lead as well.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Veterinarian outraged after eagle dies of lead poisoning
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »

They say lead is banned in Canada but they are only half correct. You can still hunt with lead for all animals except migratory and shore birds. Upland birds, squirrel, rabbits etc etc. are still legally shot with lead. Obviously these eagles are picking off wounded animals. Unfortunately you can still buy lead in "duck" loads. The only way to fix the problem is an entire ban. Obviously there is still old school hunters using lead.

When they banned lead for migratory birds in the mid 90s it took awhile for technology to come around but steel has come a long way. I don't see a problem hunting big game with lead. ( even then there's 100% copper rounds now)

I use lead when I fish, but I would gladly use an alternative if they banned its use for fishing.

Kenwee

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »

Use slinkies with no lead. You can make them using steel ball bearings....environmentally friendly.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »

Use slinkies with no lead. You can make them using steel ball bearings....environmentally friendly.

slinkies and ball bearings? im confused, but interested by what you mean?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »

You can buy parachute cord then burn one end, fill with desired amount of shot, then burn the other end sealed. Some guys really like it, I prefer split shot on the main line though.

Kenwee

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

Silver ghost google and search "How to make slinkies for fishing" You do not need to use lead just use buck shots or you can buy the ball bearings from Fasternal Canada. Slinkies do not get hung up on rocks as often as pencil lead.