Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: braided line on spinning reel  (Read 5553 times)

fishman1

braided line on spinning reel
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »

Was going to re-spool my spinning reel I use for pinks and coho.  I am using 10lb mono at the momment but thought about using braid instead.  Anybody using braid on theirs?  If you do,  do you add a mono leader to the lure?

Thanks in advance.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: braided line on spinning reel
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »

I use braid on my 11ft rod & levelwind for Springs, Sockeye and Coho.
I use a much smaller spinning rod & reel for Pinks with 10-12lb mono.

The problem with braid is that it does not cast well with small blades/spinners - not enough weight.

I did have one problem: one time I was fishing for Pinks with my smaller rod and something larger hit it (most likely a Spring) and spooled me.

You always use some kind of mono leader when using braid (3-way swivel or something similar).

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »

The best braid for spinning reels is Suffix performance braid because it is round not flat so line twist won't be a issue.  Unfortunately I have yet to find it in the local shops so I order mine from Cabelas.  I use a blood knot and tie on a top shot of mono or flourocarbon the length of my rod if fishing clear water otherwise I just use straight braid.

oni_kage

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »

I haven't tried it yet, but spiderwire ultra cast braid has a round profile. I have a spool of it but I  just haven't got around to it. Similar to others' experience, I agree that braid is harder to cast smaller weights but I haven't tried the latest generation of braid. I often had tangle ups on my spinning reel.

However, I did lose something large at Furry Creek the other day when i was fishing for pinks. I saw the colour of a salmonoid but it started peeling like crazy. Either a seal took my pink or it was a spring, either way it broke off and I lost my 6 dollar lure =(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:09:05 PM by oni_kage »

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »

I use braid for my spinning gear and have had no issues at all and I do not usually use a leader just tie direct unless the water is very clear then I may use a leader.

never had an issue casting light weight either I find I cast much farther than when I was using mono.

noxcape

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »

rembere when useing braid on a spinning reel to put a mono backing on it to stop the braid from slipping on the reel when fighing a fish

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

a well placed small piece of tape works for me rather than the backing

koko

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »

using braid line on spining reel is the only way to go, they are so thin & no strech, you can cast & set hook 150 yard no problem, with a right spinning rod combo.

doja

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »

So, what weight braid do you guys use when fishing say for pinks???

Can more line be put on the same reel using braid that mono???

I never thought to use braid but there may be some benefits.

Doja

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »

braid is way easier to cast because the diameter of the line is a lot thinner than mono, for example 30 pound braid for the Fraser is equivalent to 8 pound mono. I think that the best braid by far is Power Pro.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »

My pink set up for the Fraser is a 10'6" Shimano Convergence 4-6 lb 1/4 oz with a Shimano Symmetry 2500 and I run 12 Lb Berkley Crystal on it I get the diameter of 6 lb mono and it casts a mile with a 1/4 oz croc. not to mention how much more line will fit on the spool.

I also use this set up for Cap Coho

I say lower Fraser as this rod is not enough for a large humped fish.

fishman1

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  Great stuff.  I may just give it a try this season.  I think I will go for Powewr Pro and add a flourocarbom leader.